Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air hammer
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/7/23 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Air hammer

Hi,

I sometimes see video's of other people doing things and think damn I wish I had something like that! One video was of some guy stripping down a very old cars suspension at breakneck speed using what appeared to the a battery powered hammer thing or a converted gun for wheel nuts, not sure.

I did a quick look and found this on ebay, not electric but an air tool, second hand for £25. When it arrived I thought hmm it's a bit dinky and will end up in the bin. Tried it first on the wall, as you do, oh it hardly feels like does anything! except the chisel is now a inch into the wall...

It is genuinely spectacular. I chopped the end off the pointed chisel and right away blasted out spring bushes I'd been dreading to deal with, even fitted the new bushes with it too in all of 2 mins Despite it's size and almost total lack of recoil or vibration, it's incredible how hard this thing hits. It's now my favorite toy having used it for 2 weeks now, it's not been defeated once

Highly recommend one even it you have a small cheap compressor like me.

Description
Description

[Edited on 3/7/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 3/7/23 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah they're great! Also great for removing tiles from a bathroom wall.

They do need a fairly decent air hose diameter and feed though.

Slimy38

posted on 3/7/23 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Tried it first on the wall, as you do, oh it hardly feels like does anything! except the chisel is now a inch into the wall...

That reminded me of the first time I tried an SDS drill, I didn't think it was doing anything apart from making a lot of noise, then as the drill chuck hit the wall surface I realised that I'd gone all the way through instead of just going deep enough to set a rawlplug....

coyoteboy

posted on 3/7/23 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
You were using an SDS to set rawlplugs?!
jacko

posted on 3/7/23 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant tool and great for de- scaling thick steel but a big warning I have pins and needles and hand vibrations from using air tools all my working life
Don’t over use it if I remember right it’s about 5 minutes use in 8 hours on the safe scale for a air chisel
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 3/7/23 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
You were using an SDS to set rawlplugs?!

Yep... it was my first time and I just thought it would be good for brick...

MikeR

posted on 3/7/23 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Love my sds drill. Started off always using the normal drill, getting fed up then being amazed at how good the sds was. Now I just abuse the sds. Use it loads for breaking concrete when replacing fence posts.
nick205

posted on 4/7/23 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Don't have (never used) an SDS. Just a hammer setting on my drill.

For Rawl type plugs, even in hard concrete it works fine. That said I'm only ever doing a few. If I was at it all day for work then an SDS may well find favour!

HowardB

posted on 12/7/23 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a bosh blue sds with 2.2j impact - it is amazing and has had a hard life over the last 20 years. I used an sds MAX the other day with 16j and WOW - just wow, it was just incredible, heavier but loads quieter. The 5min sds job was a 15sec sdsMAX job!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.