Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cordless Impact Wrenches
alistairolsen

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Cordless Impact Wrenches

Ive got a birthday coming up and I've decided to stop putting it off and get one of these if possible.

I've seen a Snap On one in use which from memory had a clutch and so one but unfortunately it's more than I can afford by a margin!

A friend has a techway one which seems to get the job done and was significantly cheaper

I've had mixed reviews on Sealey guns. (the 2400 looks like a good buy at £144)

I was looking at the Clarke stuff (VAT free day at machine mart coming up) and cant decide if its worth the extra for the CIR 450 (£120) over the CIR24 (£80) when you dont get the spare battery and so on?

Has anyone got an use a Clarke gun and is able to comment on torque and battery life? What does anyone else use and would the recommend it?

Cheers

My Build Thread

speedyxjs

posted on 12/10/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I use air power but before i got the compressor, i looked into battery power and the clarke ones looked like the ones to go for.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

britishtrident

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of the ones on sale are actually the same but rebranded. I have a McAlister 14.4 volt job and while it is not the most powerful available (undoing wheel nuts is just beyond its' capacity) it is small and more compact than the Sealey and I find it is worth its weight in gold as it will do 97% of jobs on the car.

My local B&Q currently has them on clearance at just over half price.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have an 18v dewalt one and it likes wheel nuts

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MikeRJ

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have the standard Clarke 24v one with 2 batteries, and to be honest it's not very good. It has failed on numerous fasteners; it won't even touch crank pulley bolts and very tight wheel nuts are no go. With a freshly charged battery it's good enough for wheel nuts if they haven't been overtightened, but the initial performance seems to drop off very quickly, even though the battery seems to last quite a long time.

Compared to a friend Dewalt and my dads Sealey it's crap, but compared to nothing at all I suppose it's ok.

britishtrident

posted on 12/10/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
For beefy wheel nuts I have a 12 quid job that runs off the car battery

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

hobbsy

posted on 12/10/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've had similar experiences to the above.

I've got one which looks 100% the same as the Clarke Machine Mart one so I think its made in the same factory - mouldings identical etc etc but it was about 1/2 to 2/3 the price on eBay.

Its good for a lot of stuff but not very hardcore things. As said when fully charged it will be wheel nuts unless they are VERY tight.

I've never been that impressed with air ones but its probably as I've only used cheap ish or knackered ones as my compressor is fairly beefy.

If it doesn't have to be cordless I was well impressed by a mains powered £20 aldi/lidl/netto special lent to me by Geoff just down the road.

There are decent ones but you really have got to pay and decide if you're going to use it enough to make it worth it.

dan__wright

posted on 12/10/10 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
i get a cheap £10 ebay air one, undid my rear sierra hub nuts (took a few mins to get them moving and letting the compressor get back up to 8 bar a few times but they did come off.

oil is very important for air tools, if they dont get oiled they dont have much power behind them as the oil helps seal the motors

[Edited on 12/10/10 by dan__wright]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

hillbillyracer

posted on 12/10/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 19v Sealey one & find it very useful but like others have said a large car wheel nut that's been over tightened is just beyond it. I've had it 2 years & it's standing up to daily (but not all that heavy use) in agric engineering so well up to DIY level.
When it does give up the ghost I'll mabye invest in a higher quality one.

We use an air powered one for the heavier stuff, as said oil is important but for prolonging their life as much as making them work better & before you complian about it not being as powerful as you expexted check that your air line, regulator, couplings etc are up to feeding it with enough air, they're very hungry & the pressure drop on a resrtictive or long line holds them back.

monsterob

posted on 12/10/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
i own the clarke mains powered one

best buy in the last 3 years ! does everything ! crank bolts etc etc and nearly takes your wrists out while doing it !

even used it to shear bolts off if their seized

400nm is plenty !

hobbsy

posted on 12/10/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think part of the problem is some of them make outrageous claims torque wise that they can't deliver.

I.e. that mains powered one was about 2/3 the quoted torque of my battery one but it felt a LOT stronger. Having as much juice as it wants must help - much like the ones that clip on to a car battery. No shortage of current

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.