Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megajolt map & zetec hesitating
RichardK

posted on 6/2/11 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I originally thought this was the problem, jets were 1.55 on the pinto 1.6 and increased them to 1.75 because of this issue.

Feels like ignition, but maybe its not

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 6/2/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Originally I thought that my jets were too small, so I increased them - and the problem got worse!

I suggest that you either need a rolling-road session, or the use of an AFR meter...

r1_pete

posted on 6/2/11 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Are you comitting the map to the megajolt? if you don't it reverts to default when you switch off? guess who was making that mistake when I did my 2nd install on the Jag

Just had a nosey in your archive, are they 9R carbs? if they are it could be an air leak on the diaphragm/s. I sealed mine by filling the groove with rubber lube, a leak will cause poor pickup, so if you've had the lids off its worth checking.

[Edited on 6/2/11 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 6/2/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I am commiting the MJ and indeed I think I'm going to need commiting soon!

The carbs are Honda Hornet CB600 and worked great on the Pinto, have just sat on the shelf for 4 months while I did the new engine.

Think I'm going to accept defeat and go to Boggs.

Cheers

Rich

SPYDER

posted on 6/2/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again Rich.
Can we assume that you have tried 155 jets as well as 175?

Geoff.

RichardK

posted on 6/2/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yes mate, thats what they originally had in and had the same symptoms, I was expecting to have to up the size slightly so didn't think much of it when I went on its first run.

Cheers

Rich

SPYDER

posted on 6/2/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have any smaller jets?
I've got some spare if you want to try things out yourself.
Are your carbs standard apart from the jet change?
I would have thought that if they worked on the Pinto then they ought to rev out on the Zetec, even if a bit rich or lean.
Should you be trying stronger springs?

Geoff.

RichardK

posted on 6/2/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, thats whats doing my head in, thinking about trigger sensor?

SPYDER

posted on 6/2/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
You might try wiring in a 10K resistor across the VR sensor. In parallel. Or 15K. Or 20K.
I've seen this problem on the MS forums and they suggest it.

Geoff.

RichardK

posted on 6/2/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Now wondering if the crank sensor off and auto mondy is different to the manual one, I know the housing was and that got changed but used the same sensor?

1999 mk2 mondeo

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 6/2/11 by RichardK]

omega 24 v6

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I had to do what spyder recommends with the resistors on my v2.2 but it would not rev at all beyond 2500rpm under any circumstances. Also I know that big daz and scoobylav had problems with their flywheel based vr sensor and IIRC had a few of differing lengths from autos and manuals ( different flywheels) I think. BUT If yours IS reving beyond they 3krpm under a light load I still doubt it'd be the crank sensor or it wouldn't do it at all surely. You could try a tooth log in tuner studio and see what it looks like mind you.

[Edited on 6/2/11 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

RichardK

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, interesting, does tuner studio work with megajolt then? Thought it was a squirt thing.

Cheers

Rich

omega 24 v6

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Well it is a squirt thing yes. I am getting confused in my old age. What about an oscilloscope?? friendly college or tv repair shop perhaps.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

RichardK

posted on 8/2/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
1.4mm seems to be loads better, just need to find out why the revs are all over the place on the jaw logging thingy.

Cheers

Rich

SPYDER

posted on 8/2/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rich.
Which ignition map are you running?
Does the car start OK?
Have you had the chance to try different maps?
Next step? Smaller jets? New plugs?

Geoff.

RichardK

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, at the moment I've found a safe zetec map on the autolabs site that I've put on, will start to play with ign when I have a bit more time, going away with work for a few days so wont be able to play. But today I got the jets down to 1.4mm and got the carbs balanced spot on, its a bit of a pita the do the jets but can't help thinking that they need to gown down slightly even further maybe 1.3 or 1.35.

Have some new plugs ready to go in when Its sorted.

Why? You got a cunning plan?

Cheers

Rich

paulf

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
It could be the jets are to large as if they were correct for a 2 litre pinto then a zetec will probably use less fuel as they seem to be more economical than pintos due to a newer more efficient design.I found with megasquirt that if i went to rich the engine would refuse to rev crisply on full load and when I cut the fueling back a bit it picked up much better.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Hi mate, at the moment I've found a safe zetec map on the autolabs site that I've put on, will start to play with ign when I have a bit more time, going away with work for a few days so wont be able to play. But today I got the jets down to 1.4mm and got the carbs balanced spot on, its a bit of a pita the do the jets but can't help thinking that they need to gown down slightly even further maybe 1.3 or 1.35.

Have some new plugs ready to go in when Its sorted.

Why? You got a cunning plan?

Cheers

Rich

kylerichmond

posted on 4/6/11 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Your not alone with this problem, i have exactly the same issue, the car drives well however when the throttle is wide open it splutters, ive been from 1.6mm to 2.0mm jets with no success, however i blocked the air corrector jets and it did improve the situation, i now need to make sure that i have a good map befor i visit Bogg Bros.
Has anyone got a suitable 2d map for a 2.0l Zetec Zx9 Carbs that they know is good?
Email kylerichmond16@hotmail.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.