Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you recommend me a drill please
tomgregory2000

posted on 5/8/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Can you recommend me a drill please

Im looking for a new corded drill around £50-£60, i have a cordeless one but sometimes its just not good enough and have just destroyed my corded one(it was secondhand from a mate)
What would you recommend?

Many thanks
Tommy

bilbo

posted on 5/8/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Bosch drill way back in the early '90s. I've built two cars with it and I use it on a regular basis for other stuff too. It's still going strong.
Don't know what the modern ones are like in comparison, but a quick look in Argos came up with this:

linky

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

James

posted on 5/8/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've always been very pleased with my 750w Ryobi corded hammer drill.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

SeaBass

posted on 5/8/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Bosch/Makita get my vote. I've found Bosch customer service seems good. Swimbos iron blew up well after the one year standard cover (if its possible she'll iron it!). I phoned up the general Bosch customer call center & they'd sent a better model out to us by the time I'd boxed it up.

JC

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
all my drills are Bosch which are worth the extra. Only down side is they go through brushes quite quickly but those are easy to change. All my grinders are Black & decker as they're very tough and last longest.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Flamez

posted on 5/8/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I had a cordless bosch which lasted 10 years but gave up the ghost. I have recently replaced with a dewalt, more expensive but a much better drill.

my build mac1motorsports

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/8/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
I had a cordless bosch which lasted 10 years but gave up the ghost. I have recently replaced with a dewalt, more expensive but a much better drill.

My bosch cordless drills has lasted way longer than that despite being on the same battery pack and being dropped, driven over and generally misused while building houses. So impressed with it I went and bought another ones a few months ago that’s got a gearbox but the old ones still being used while I’m charging the new one

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miikae

posted on 5/8/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I am still useing my Wolf type 76 pistol drill bought in the mid 70s and still going strong, been used with a orbital sander atachment for a couple of boat rebuilds and a few cars, alas they dont make em like they used to now sadly. I have replaced the cable a few times though plus the switch once.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

James

posted on 5/8/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miikae
I am still useing my Wolf type 76 pistol drill bought in the mid 70s and still going strong, been used with a orbital sander atachment for a couple of boat rebuilds and a few cars, alas they dont make em like they used to now sadly. I have replaced the cable a few times though plus the switch once.

Mike

Haha, my Dad's got a Wolf 'pistol type' aluminium bodied drill he got from his father-in-law.

It played a big part in my car for drilling rivet holes and stuff in hard to reach places as it's so small!!!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

StevenB

posted on 5/8/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
its a fair bit dearer but its a great piece
of kit with the chisel and changeable chucks.

s Rescued attachment Bosch.jpg
Rescued attachment Bosch.jpg

ernie

posted on 5/8/09 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
screwfix--bosch 720w sds plus 12 drill driver £87+vat
Peteff

posted on 5/8/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a Wickes corded hammer drill non sds type for years and it still does the job. It only cost about £30 if I remember right.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.