<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what caused this?
blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
what caused this?

Description
Description

any ideas? sprayed primer, then white cellulose (vauxhall glacier white from halfords to be exact) then RAL2005 fluorescent orange from ebay, again cellulose over the top, but in some places, only in the corners really, its gone like in the photo. looks like its chipped, but its not been moved or touched.

not really worried about the finish. its only an axle, and as far as i can tell, most live axles don't seem to be painted anyway

would be nice to know why its done it though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

se7en

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Could it welding slag not cleaned from the joint?

Definitely a strange one.

deezee

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
What was your prep / cleaning process between the coats?

blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7en
Could it welding slag not cleaned from the joint?

Definitely a strange one.

ah, yes, a very good point. now i think of it, i didn't do much to clean it first...

thing is though, it had zinc primer on it, then a good few coats of white, and then a good few coats of orange. only the orange seems to be affected...

the white was left to dry for an hour or so (paint manufacturer says 20 minutes, but it was pretty cold) so i don't know if it was still wet in the corners perhaps, and started to mix together?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Canada EH!

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the weld was not properly cleaned, some slag left behind which fell off after the painting process.
blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
ah well, lesson learned thanks everyone. will remember to clean properly next time lol
its still all painted, there's no bare metal as far as i can see, so never mind. won't really be seen anyway

jacko

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Never mind the paint what about the welds
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yep^ They look like they're not even touching that bracket.
big_wasa

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Blake I would get them welds ground out and rewelded.

You dont want it coming off.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Never mind the paint what about the welds

ditto

You need to redo that one as I think you didn't have enough heat, mind too that you should move between surfaces only when you can clearly see the weld pool forming. As for the paint it looks like the weld wasn't fully cleaned. Actually looks like bubbles formed in the paint and then later the bubbles shells broke.

[Edited on 2/3/10 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
i didn't do that weld, i gave that to welder with many many years of experiance. yeah, it does look a bit weak, but i think he's done a few passes on it. i think there's 1 or 2 underneath it then the 3rd one over the top. annealing weld is it called?
i'll drop by tomorrow and see if he can remember exaclty what he did

[Edited on 2/3/10 by blakep82]

big_wasa

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
He told you porkies. One pass should have been plenty. The weld is doing nothing, its just sat on top of the tube.
omega 24 v6

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mate I don't want to slag the welder or worry you but It really does not look good in the photo.
Listen to what the others are saying and yes certainly speak to your welder BUT
STILL get a second opinion from someone who can look at the weld in real life (It maybe is OK but one pass should have been enough IMHO)
All comments are IMHO
None of us would like to see all your work come crashing down because of what looks like a poor weld.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
^ yeah i'm not disagreeing or arguing with anyone! he's been welding for many years, got a garage, and used to be an MOT inspector til he opened his own garage. i'd seen it and thought it looked 'unusual' but given what he does, he knows better than me, so i trusted that
i'll maybe take it along to another guy i know tomorrow. he used to weld, but doesn't any more. he can maybe see what he thinks. thats if i can get it in the car

[Edited on 2/3/10 by blakep82]

boggle

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
mate, it does look suss....

even if it was a fillet weld it should not look like that....

looks a bit like some low flying pigeons have flown over.....if i was nearer i would come and weld it for you.....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

oldtimer

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
One more vote for 'check that weld'
SeaBass

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto - I teach teenagers to weld and wouldn't accept that on their work. There's nothing like enough Amps I'd say for that thick bracket.
gazza285

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry about your mate, but he is no welder, not even a competant amatuer. I speak as a coded welder. Anyone who welded like that on any of our gear would be down the road.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thought i was finally going to be done with this axle

So, what do i do? Grind it all out and redo it all?

gazza285

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Better to grind it out and have it done properly than have it fail.

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
The paint didnt like the welding. Sorry, i would grind it out and reweld, even painted it is obvious there is no penetration on the bracket.

Paul

[Edited on 2/3/10 by Cousin Cleotis]

jacko

posted on 2/3/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Blake sorry if i have made you more work but its best to have it right you know that
I am a welder of 38 years.
Grind it out and get it welded agane
If i lived up your way i would came and do it for you
All for the price of a cup of tea
Graham

blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
its not a question of more work. its an important part and it has to be right!
just annoyed that if its not strong enough, he's done it like that knowing what its for.
i'm sure he said each weld was done with 3 passes... i can't remember. it was a while ago now. is there a way i can check without grinding it all out again? and if i'm doing that, whats the easiest way to get all the paint off? might as well do all that again too
hull isn't THAT far away Graham...

gazza285

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
One good pass would still be better than three passes of that quality. There is no need for more than one pass with that thickness of steel. You'll never get a good root into that without grinding it all out first, and you'll need all of the paint out of the joint as well if you are migging it. Personally I'd rather weld something like that with my stick set.

Alan B

posted on 4/3/10 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just me or does there appear to difference between "garage/car repair" quality welding and "real/fabrication" welding...as a very broad generalisation?

As there is a big difference between car repairs and engineering/building a car from scratch.

Just a thought.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.