Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice needed on swirl pots
bi22le

posted on 27/2/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Advice needed on swirl pots

Hi all.

I understand the order of a swirl pot set up, not a concern. What I would like to know is what size swirl pot should I use for my 1.6 20V 4age?

Im looking at this:

Complete Fuel Surge Tank Kit 2L Litre Swirl Pot System on eBay (end time 04-Mar-11 12:38:18 GMT)
SEARCH EBAY STORE

Any one used these before?

Also other than making sure all connections are double tight do you have any advice about adding a swirl pot to an injection fuel system?

Thanks all.

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

fimi7

posted on 27/2/11 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
I bought one of these for my MK Indy with a hayabusa. The quality is pretty good, I bought it without the lines and AN fittings. The port wholes are -8 or 3/4, cannot remember right now. I have not yet installed it, but I am happy with it.

2Litter I think is more than enough for any engine, the return line from the rail will always keep it full. The purpose is just to ensure that low suck of the High pressure pump always has a constant source.

--- Ali

mad4x4

posted on 28/2/11 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
I bought an OBP one Link I bought 1 ltr. The point is to stop fuel surge or starvation & vaporuisation.

usless you are running a Stupid big pump or engine then 1ltr should be enough IMHO

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

posted on 28/2/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that if the primary reason for a swirl pot is to maintain a constant supply of fuel,
and the secondary reason is the removal of air, then a round pot must be better.

If the inlet and outlet are at a tangent or semi-tangent to a round body then this creates the swirl, hence the name.
Air bleed out from top centre.

Just my 2p

Cheers,
Paul G

Confused but excited.

posted on 28/2/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's not described as a swirl tank.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

bi22le

posted on 28/2/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm cheers for all response and help.
I need one due to massive fuel starvation I was getting last year on a track day. The tank still had a 3rd left.

I agree about the round tank and square and wonder if the OP item is not suitable.

Maybe I'll hunt for separate Parts instead.
Any other pointers or advice?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

atspeed racing

posted on 28/2/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
swirl pot:

as mentioned, creates a swirl so air is removed, but main reason is to keep a volume of fuel on the back of the secondary pump, to stop cavitation or fuel surge issues.

i use a 1 litre swirl pot on a 450hp car.

primary pump is bmw m3 (in tank pump)

secondary is bosch 044 pump

- colin.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scudderfish

posted on 28/2/11 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to get technical, work out the longest bend you're likely to take (Mallory?), your time around it, and how much fuel your engine needs in that time. Add a bit extra for fudging and it won't be 2 litres

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.