Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RivNut supplier
alan87

posted on 4/1/12 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
RivNut supplier

Evening gents,

I have had to take the side pod of my fury to replace a sheared exhaust mount. However instead of the melee of nuts, bolts and self tappers it is currently held on with, I would like to change it to Rivnuts for future ease of removal.

Couple of things really, I'm looking at getting the tool from here http://www.powerfuluk.com/categorylist/other-rivnut-tools-and-rivnuts/

I know a few people have purchased the tool, so that's fine. But does anybody know if the rivnut packages are reasonable quality. I'm planning on using 5mm nuts.

Finally if anyone has any pointers for attaching Rivnuts through GRP they woul be gratefully appreciated.

Regards Alan

P.s apologies for any speeling errors, iPhone isn't the easiest to post on!

[Edited on 4/1/12 by alan87]

The Venom Project

posted on 4/1/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
This is who I use:

http://www.bapp.co.uk/contact

They are a Yorkshire company but you can order with them for delivery.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

gazza285

posted on 4/1/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I can second BAPP as a great company, but whilst working in Southampton I used these chaps;

Thunderbolts

Fantastic name as well.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 5/1/12 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
You need special rive-nuts for GRP else they will crack the panel.. I would recommend taking to primary fasteners... http://www.prifast.co.uk/ very hep lull on the phone and not that expensive..
The Venom Project

posted on 5/1/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
What I did for removing the rear wings on my MNR was to use Hank Bushes, these are like a nut with a shoulder, ideally you would use a ball pein hammer and hammer them into some alloy sheet. They seem to grip Ali very well and if you fit them into wide, load spreading panels of Ali sheet, you can then drill a small hole on the GRP for the screw.

Another way of doing it might be to weld a plated nut onto a stainless sheet and then use that instead.

The only thing I would say with Rivnuts is, once they slip its a Bugger trying to get anything out. I put one in my swingarm, its slipped and now has had the bolt angle ground off.

Generally speaking,if you can get to the otherwise of the mount, use an alternative to Rivnuts. That's just my personal opinion, but if you speak to a fabricator, I'm pretty sure they will tell you this too.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

mad-butcher

posted on 5/1/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
this is the way I attatched the wings to the side panels on the MK. 25mm x 6mm flat bar tapped for bolt and pop riveted to panel
[img] Rescued attachment arch2.JPG
Rescued attachment arch2.JPG
[/img]

[img] Rescued attachment arch1.JPG
Rescued attachment arch1.JPG
[/img]

[Edited on 5/1/12 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alan87

posted on 6/1/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I understand that once the Rivnuts slip they are a bugger. I had planned on using some araldite or similar to give them some extra hold.

Will try a couple of the links aswel, although have found namrick also sell them. So may just stock up on a whole load of fasteners at once.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.