Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Toy! Shock dyno
MikeCapon

posted on 5/4/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
New Toy! Shock dyno

I was asked on another forum over here to post up a few images of my new shock dyno and figured that it may be of interest to some of you on here..

This is a Roehrig 2 horsepower model which I chose for all the options that come standard and the good $/€ exchange rate

The motor turns a big bearing inside a scotch yoke mechanism to create a real sine movement.
Here's a pic with her clothes off You can see the two pick ups for speed and displacement either side of the scotch yoke

And with the bearing removed where you can see the two different stroke fixings, 1" and 2"

And the bearing. Which is not small. That's a 1" AF bolt head...

Here's my home made lower shock fixing which is attached directly to the scotch yoke mechanism

And the top fixing attached to the strain gauge

With a shock in place

And the infra red temperature pick up

And the whole lot hooked up to a laptop ready to run

The Roehrig software enables you to create preconfigured tests using all sorts of different parameters. The "protech standard 14" is my final check for any ProTechs I sell over here. It automatically warms the shock to 30°C and then takes you through the test with on screen prompts at each adjustment change

Here's the prompt screen. There's no message at the moment cos I'm too lazy

Once the test is run the data gets saved to the hard drive and you can then display it as you wish. Here's a standard force/displacement (potato) graph

And a force/velocity graph

You can print out the graphs to send out with the shocks. Here's one for a Caterham SV damper

As with most software there are heaps of options which I'm in the process of exploring right now. The preconfigured tests are fun too. You can do almost anything you want to including running heat tests taking data at various temperatures to measure fade. It will also measure gas pressure for high pressure units and seal friction too.

Hope you find this interesting.

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 5/4/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote

That's a serious bit of kit there Mike!

Shame (or maybe a blessing) you're in France....I'm guessing you'd attract a steady stream of new Locost "mates" to your door looking for some testing Might be good for beer and cakes though!

MikeCapon

posted on 5/4/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Beer and cakes are fine by me. You'd be more than welcome.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 5/4/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Looking good Mike. Is that a portable unit. ?

Cheers Matt

MikeCapon

posted on 5/4/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Looking good Mike. Is that a portable unit. ?

Cheers Matt

Thanks Matt,

A mate and I just managed to lift it onto the bench together so I guess the answer's yes. He did have a bad back the next day but then he's a 25 year old wimp.

It runs on single phase too (16A) which helps.

All the best,

Mike

scootz

posted on 5/4/12 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Nice bit of kit Mike!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.