Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: press and vice?
A1

posted on 1/5/12 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
press and vice?

i need a good press, for pushing out wheel bearings, 10 tonne should be fine. I was going to go to machine mart, but does anyone have good or bad to say about the clarke ones they sell?
or anywhere else to pick a decent one up...

also, where can i get a good bench vice? managed to break number 2 now so looking something thatll last longer than a year...

cheers

nick205

posted on 1/5/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Record vices are pretty robust, but not cheap.

v8kid

posted on 1/5/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Here's one I made earlier testing a front upright to destyruction.

upright on press
upright on press

Quite easy using two old builders accrow props, a bit of rectangular steel and a hydraulic bottle jack. You're welcome to pop round if you're in the vicinity.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 1/5/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
You might be better off trying your local secondhand garage equipment suppliers for an Epco press it will last a lot longer than any modern press even if you have to get it resealed
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
My Clarke 10 Ton Press has done a few years of faithful service. The ram now leaks a little oil, but apart from that, it's been troublefree. Good budget kit.

10 Tons has been plenty for bearings, stub axles, oil seal lands, straightening motorcycle forks.....

I cracked a few vices before buying the press, but haven't since, the vice is now only used to hold things! Again, the replacement vice was a Clarke.

Of course, others will say they're totally rubbish, 10 Tons isn't enough, and the red colour doesn't match their floor paint or the colour of their Pinto engine block.

tomgregory2000

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Of course, others will say they're totally rubbish, 10 Tons isn't enough, and the red colour doesn't match their floor paint or the colour of their Pinto engine block.

If they have a pinto they dont need a press, just use the block, they weigh about 10 ton

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.