Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I think My TIG is really Dead now!!!
r1_pete

posted on 6/4/13 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think My TIG is really Dead now!!!

Well, managed to lay down a couple of decent alloy welds, then this happened:
Anyone know what the bits are and if they are the expensive bits to have repaired?
Dead TIG2
Dead TIG2

Dead Tig1
Dead Tig1

[Edited on 6/4/13 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 6/4/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
what make if tig is it?

this service manual from esab shows the general circuitry
pdf
www.esab.com.ar/ar/sp/productos/upload/0740_800_172_mig_tig_3000i.pdf

---
from your photos,, the lower circuit board will need replacing, and most probable the items on it too, - do any of the things on the heatsync have numbers on them?

looks an easy board to replace.

r1_pete

posted on 6/4/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, its a chinese one unfortunately, This One

Can't see any numbers on the components, I'll pop the heatsink brackets off and see if I can see any numbers.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 6/4/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
That happened to mine and apparently it's caused by the heatsinks being too tight and cracking the trannies, they are all the same along that bank so have a look at the other and you should be able to replace it pretty easily from farnels or maplins etc, would also check the others too. You will need to take out the boards as there is another bank on the other side.

Hopefully the board itself isn't toast

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 6/4/13 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

r1_pete

posted on 6/4/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
The numbers on the Transistors is RJH3047 733 408, there are many RJH3047's in there, but with different suffixes, does the 733 & 408 actually mean anything??

You're probably right Richard, the first tranny is cracked.....

I'll work out the values ov the resistors and diods close by and rebuild the board, it doesn't look burned.

Then I'll reseat them all on the sinks a little looser with plenty of heat transfer grease.

Dead Tig 3
Dead Tig 3

MikeRJ

posted on 6/4/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
RJH3047 is a 300v Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT), originally made by Renesas but now discontinued. It's a fair bet those devices are Chinese copies however. The other numbers will most likely be date or batch codes.

It's unlikely you'll find an exact replacement from RS, Farnell or Digikey etc. but they do seem to be available from China through eBay: 10x RJH3047 IGBT RJH 3047 Transistor | eBay

[Edited on 6/4/13 by MikeRJ]

r1_pete

posted on 6/4/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike, I've taken the card out, it looks repairable, so I've bought one of those 10 packs.

I've also mailed the manufacturer in China to see if I can get a replacement card..... I can hope

Peteff

posted on 6/4/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like the Eastwood that Frost sells.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RichardK

posted on 6/4/13 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, time difference got in the way!

I would also get some thermal compound and apply a very thin layer to the fronts and back when reassembling, available from eBay or any computer shop as its used on CPU coolers.

Hope you get it sorted!

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.