Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A £14 great tool worth buying
britishtrident

posted on 12/10/13 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
A £14 great tool worth buying

A few months back I posted asking if anybody could recommend an exhaust tail pip cutter for chopping one piece OEM systems to fit replacement tail pipes. In the end I bought a Silverline 739592 which I can highly recommend and at about £14 is very good value for money.

I used it today to cut a fairly thick pipe on car, 2 minutes work cut the pipe and left nice clean end that the end box & tail pipe end slipped cleanly over. A lot quicker, cleaner and safer than using a cutting disc in the angry tool.

Description
Description

Loads on ebay or click link below.
Link to supplier

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 12/10/13 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have a few Silverline tools, for the money they punch well above their weight.

joneh

posted on 12/10/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I find silverline very hit or miss. A lot of the toolstation own brand stuff is total pap! I once bought a bag of screws, opened them up to find smooth heads on them!
Slimy38

posted on 12/10/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
I find silverline very hit or miss. A lot of the toolstation own brand stuff is total pap! I once bought a bag of screws, opened them up to find smooth heads on them!

I bought my first set of g clamps from Toolstation, half of them didn't open far enough (1.8 inches of gap on a 2 inch clamp meant they were useless to clamp the chassis tubes), the others didn't have the clamp faces lining up so as I tightened them the thread bent off line. Absolutely shocking quality. I took them back and got the same thing from B&Q for a similar price.

nick205

posted on 12/10/13 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Are Silverline a Toolstation brand then?

I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere.

Most toolstation stuff is utter tosh. They were tarted by the guys that started Screwfix after they sold it to Kingfisher for £££££££££££ with the stated aim of getting big enough to wee Screwfix off enough that they suffered or had to buy them out. That's why they open branches next door to Screwfix branches, my local one is literally opposite Screwfix. I know this because we supply IT products and services to both companies.

They sell what looks to be the equivalent of Screwfix offerings at lower prices to tempt you in. Once bought you realise they are crap!

Slimy38

posted on 12/10/13 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Are Silverline a Toolstation brand then?

I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere.

I've seen silverline stuff long before toolstation (or even screwfix) came along, unfortunately they've always been a little hit and miss. Our local motorworld/partsworld sell silverline stuff so i don't think there's a direct connection with toolstation.

locoboy

posted on 13/10/13 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
i have silverline welding magnets of 90 degreen and 45 degree, although......they are no where near 90 degree or 45 degree, completeley useless at what they are designed to do!

ATB
Locoboy

joneh

posted on 13/10/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Haha, I had a similar problem with a silver line mitre box. Still not happy with the kitchen pelmets!
owelly

posted on 13/10/13 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I was using a set of 250kg Silverline weighing scales to weigh my 180kg engine. The scales fell to pieces and dropped the engine. My Silverline fluid extractor vacuum thingy fell to bits after the second use as the o-rings puffed up. Silverline sent me a free toolbox and even for the price, it's crap.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.