Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No More Tax Discs
slingshot2000

posted on 5/12/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
No More Tax Discs

It has just been announced that from next October it will no longer be a legal requirement to display a valid Tax Disc. Likely to be another result of the cut backs at the DVLA.

Regards
Jon

pekwah1

posted on 5/12/13 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Well i don't disagree with this.
It's not like we display a valid MOT or Insurance sign on our cars.....

steve m

posted on 5/12/13 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
You are right, but in theory if a car has a Tax disc, it had to have an mot and insurance to get it,
but still does not mean the car is actually legal

It will mean more un roadworthy illegal cars on the road with no insurance

So is it the way forward?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/12/13 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I guess the positives, less windscreen clutter, and no chance of it being stolen from cars like ours.

Sounds like a bad move to me though.
Maybe the precursor to every car being trackable by law, roll on 1984.

iank

posted on 5/12/13 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure why people think it's a bad move, only the physical disc is being phased out (you still need to apply for and pay the tax at which point MOT and insurance are checked same as before). Arguably if paying monthly (another option being added) they could check MOT and insurance are still valid which would be tighter than now where you only need insurance and MOT on the day of issue.

As no-one uses the disc anymore* and just look it up on the computer there's no real change day to day. APNR already could track your car every time you go past a camera no need for any changes to cars or the tax system.

ETA: * except nosy neighbours

[Edited on 5/12/13 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

owelly

posted on 5/12/13 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
TBH, even though illegal, I've never had a tax disc on my bikes or kit cars for the past 20 years! My bike tax discs get laminated and kept in my bike jacket pocket. The discs in the kit cars get laminated and are used as a key ring! I did make a disc holder as part of my dash design at one point but the revised dash didn't include such a thing.
It's not very often I leave my toys parked-up at the side of the road for anyone to have a looksy at the disc and as said, the BiB can check all your details with one radio call or one flash from the ANPR.
I would still like to see a combined VED, MoT and insurance 'disc', or a disc made up of three segments, just to remind me of when stuff is due. I could keep this in my pocket too.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrism

posted on 5/12/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of the direct debit for tax, a bit annoying that they are going to charge 5% to use it but it does mean that you don't have to pay out the full amount once a year and if you take your car/bike off the road then you wont have the hassle of posting the disc back and waiting for a cheque to come through you could just cancel the direct debit hopefully. Also it would be nice if it just kept going so you didn't have to do anything to renew except maybe get a reminder letter.

But then again it is the DVLA so that might not happen.

It also gonna knock the poo out of the motorbike market for tax disc holders, but it will make the bike look neater.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

DavidW

posted on 5/12/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Now I regret drilling a ring of holes into my carbon dasboard to mount the tax disc holder.

I need a big sticker....

morcus

posted on 5/12/13 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've been saying they should do this for years. Remember It's already illegal to have tax on an uninsured car, after 28 days (I think) you get sent a fine so don't see not having a disk being any issue with regards to people not taxing cars, if anything it will be harder to get away with it. They should also make it transferable to your next car.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

02GF74

posted on 5/12/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Its a half measure. Why not put it onto fuel?

Why should someone who drives 50 miles per year pay as much as somebidy who drves 20,000 miles?

ReMan

posted on 5/12/13 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Its a half measure. Why not put it onto fuel?

Why should someone who drives 50 miles per year pay as much as somebidy who drves 20,000 miles?

I've said this forever.
As much as I expect it would be a disproprtionate levy, it would stop penalising people who do minimal mileage, in any particular vehicle, it could even be instead of the badly implemented vintage car tax exemption. At least then if you just happen to use your 1970 Cortina as the family vehicle and 10k a year then maybe you should pay to keep the raods, if you only use it like ous, for fun you pay when you use it not when its parkled up for the 300 wet days of the year

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Simon

posted on 5/12/13 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Don't put it on fuel, just scrap the charge unless the money is going to be used for the roads by road users, which also means scrapping cheap/free rfl for hybrids and all the other eco bull that's in favour at the moment.

Do more miles, you already pay for it with massive fuel duty/vat etc.

ATB

Simon

NigeEss

posted on 5/12/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
TBH, even though illegal, I've never had a tax disc on my bikes

Ditto, bikes and my soft top Landy, although only about five years.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

morcus

posted on 5/12/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be for paying more fuel duty to scrap rfl.

britishtrident

posted on 5/12/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Putting it on fuel duty is grossly unfair to people who live in the middle of nowhere, for instance in some parts of Scotland people live 40 miles or more from the nearest supermarket, they have no choice but to depend a car for transport.

Getting rid of tax discs is another example of lack of up thinking on the part of gov.uk. Don't be too surprised if they backtrack on this as the current lot have had toat least partly undo most of the major changes they have introduced.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve m

posted on 5/12/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I Know it will upset someone, but were people live is their decision, and know one forced anyone to live out in the sticks

I chose to live near my family, and have 2 kids and my parents with a 10 min walk, so don't need the car

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 5/12/13 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I would much rather pay my road tax as a supplement to my petrol price - I seem to be doing a bit more than the 'standard' 10k miles per year on my tin-top, but I'd happily pay for what I use, especially as it manages 40mpg around town, 50mpg on a long run. This is for a car that only requires £30 per year tax - I'd end up paying more, but it would be fair. The Chelsea tractors that do less than 20mpg (not diesels!) will have to pay their dues...

The Locost sitting in the garage that has only done 750 miles per annum still costs me over £250, which seems very unfair...

britishtrident

posted on 5/12/13 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I Know it will upset someone, but were people live is their decision, and know one forced anyone to live out in the sticks

I chose to live near my family, and have 2 kids and my parents with a 10 min walk, so don't need the car

There is a vast difference in perception between the cosy Home Counties and wilderness of Caithness, never the twain shall meet which one of the reasons the Scottish Independence Referendum will be a dammed close run thing. Leaving the north and south of Scotland aside north of England, the west country, the valleys of Wales and the six counties Ulster all have a sizeable populations living miles from anywhere.

[/I]

steve m

posted on 5/12/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Also by putting tax on the fuel, means the scumbag cheaters, will still have to pay for the tax, as at the moment they don't
and as said, the little old lady who doe 50 miles a year, does not pay through the nose, nor does she ruin or wear out the road
but the taxi/lorry driver, etc on 50k plus have to pay more

I can not see a better argument to lose the RfT for good
And as David says the Chelsea tractor brigade on a sub 20mpg, will suffer big time

jacko

posted on 5/12/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hypothetical question
Person parks car down a back road no tax .
police / traffic warden never go down this road how do Joe public know if it has tax if there is no tax disc ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 5/12/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Hypothetical question
police / traffic warden never go down this road how do Joe public know if it has tax if there is no tax disc ?

Occurred to me also Also applies to anybody living out in the boonies and never takes the car on to a motorway or into a city.

All this can mean is more yet automated surveillance and logging , the government will know exactly where everybody is and has been.

[/I]

morcus

posted on 5/12/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the kind of nosey neighbour who's checking everyones tax disk is just as likely to check online. I'm not sure how but I'm certain you can check if a cars taxed, you can certainly check if it's insured and you can't have the tax without that. It's probably not very common now but you can fake a tax disk, and you can make one thats quite convincing through a windscreen and holder.

I think someone quoted a charge of 5% for paying by direct debit, wouldn't that make it cheaper than buying two 6 month tax discs is at the moment?

matt_claydon

posted on 5/12/13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Hypothetical question

Check on DVLA website? Been able to do that for years. Can't fake that, but anyone with a PC and a colour printer can make a convincing looking disc.

The online system is far more secure - discs themselves have been meaningless for years, just like the MOT cert (which has now correctly been turned into no more than a receipt).

chrism

posted on 5/12/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Surely the kind of nosey neighbour who's checking everyones tax disk is just as likely to check online. I'm not sure how but I'm certain you can check if a cars taxed, you can certainly check if it's insured and you can't have the tax without that. It's probably not very common now but you can fake a tax disk, and you can make one thats quite convincing through a windscreen and holder.

I think someone quoted a charge of 5% for paying by direct debit, wouldn't that make it cheaper than buying two 6 month tax discs is at the moment?

I think the 5% is going to apply to people buying a six month disc now aswell. (Well from when it starts anyway)

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

iank

posted on 5/12/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
One minor nit, it's not been called Road Fund License, or been reserved for the maintenance of roads, since 1936.
It's just general taxation based on owning cars, much in the same way that VAT is just general taxation based on buying "stuff".

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.