Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cossie Engine Find.
Calzonii

posted on 30/12/14 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cossie Engine Find.

So i think ive just stumbled upon something beautiful.. Yesterday whilst chatting to a mate on facebook about building my MK Indy R and needing a donor Sierra. He mentioned his uncle might have one in their yard (scrapyard). Went to see it and its been stored in warehouse.

Turned out to be a 1989 sierra cosworth RS but hasnt been run in 7 years. Last time it was ran he said it was running well. But i had a look at the car bodywork and its in pretty grim condition (rust on sills, doors, roof where the warehouse roof has been leaking on it... Good news is that under the bonnet everything looks good.. It didnt have a battery so couldnt start it... He asked his uncle and he said would be willing to sell. I dunno how much hes gonna charge me for it.. I know the guy quite well but what sort of price would be a good number to get this for?

Had been looking at some duratec engines for the car but if I got this it would be pretty mch perfect providing it runs and all.

Anyone any thoughts on this? Is it a bit risky seeing the engine has been left for so long without being run? Could possibly be a waste of money..

For someone so interested in classic rally cars its a bit of a shame to see it in such poor nick!

BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/12/14 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
The engine is worth £1500, gearbox £400.

I would remove the plug, stick a load of WD40 down the bores and turn over by hand with a spanner. If free its safe to try and start it. Would be a good idea to change the oil and filter first.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 30/12/14 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
3dr?

id be keeping it together, , see if it will tidy up , then sell it on , and buy a better engine....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Calzonii

posted on 31/12/14 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
I was toying with that idea myself...3dr yeah! they can sell for loads but would need a lot of time and effort.. gonna try and and crank it with the WD40 if i can get it for a cheap price..

what engine would you go with volvo?

Volvorsport

posted on 31/12/14 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
2.5 Millington....lol

me personally would be a redblock , that's probably more hassle....

i thought indy r were made for bike engines?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Calzonii

posted on 31/12/14 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
My man... Never thoight about millington!! What price are those badbiys?

Most people do put bike engines in them... Weight issues etc.. But ive always messed about with car engines and tweaked them so if i started with a bike engine id feel dirty...

Was planning on duratec myself previous to my cosworth find!

Calzonii

posted on 31/12/14 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Also whats the difference in the redtop?

Calzonii

posted on 31/12/14 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Also whats the difference in the redtop?

CosKev3

posted on 31/12/14 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
1989 should be a Sapphire Cosworth, unless it's a very late registered 3 door?

What mileage is on it, and general condition of interior etc?

If it's a good price get it from there, wash it and bang it on E-Bay complete, anything with Ford and RS badges on is worth restoring for someone

ashg

posted on 31/12/14 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't destroy it the 3 doors are getting rare. I wouldn't even try to start it personally. Turn up with a trailer get it cheap as chips as a non runner and sort it at home.

If you get it going for them you have just made it worth more money! Chances are if they knew how to get it going they would sell it as a runner!

[Edited on 31/12/2014 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

snapper

posted on 31/12/14 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Cossies are expensive for what they are and what they can reliably deliver, the Duratec is when compared with a Cosworth much cheaper.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

BaileyPerformance

posted on 31/12/14 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Can't agree with that snapper, a 2wd turbo Cosworth engine will reliably make 280bhp with 300lb/ft.

You can get 200bhp from a stock NA duratec on throttle bodies with half the torque, more then 200bhp starts to cost ya.

I do agree its pointless going the NA Cosworth path compaired to stock duratec unless you have £££s to spend.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 31/12/14 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Cossies are expensive for what they are and what they can reliably deliver, the Duratec is when compared with a Cosworth much cheaper.

The Duratec is probably less than 2/3rds the weight of the Cosworth YB boat anchor as well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.