Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend Me Quality Drill Bits
BigDawgV8

posted on 6/12/20 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend Me Quality Drill Bits

Hi All,

I need to drill a couple of 1.5 mm holes through some hard alloy.

Can anyone recommend me a suitable make and type of drill bit for this please?

Hopefully, I won’t have to buy a whole set just for a couple of holes!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Theshed

posted on 6/12/20 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
You could try PCB drills - usually carbide so hard but very brittle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/184304256331?chn=ps&var=691996373957&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=691996 373957_184304256331&targetid=1065995239437&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9044965&campaignid=10204071591&mkgroupid=104953044434 &rlsatarget=aud-629407027825:pla-1065995239437&abcId=1145987&merchantid=114950642&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9YWJr7O57QIVmLPtCh3TiwdGEAQYBSABEg IK3PD_BwE

Or buy cobalt bits

£14 for 10

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDUSTRTIAL-QUALITY-1-5mm-HSCO-COBALT-DRILL-X-10/324246739135?epid=646225784&hash=item4b7e9c98bf:g:pS8AAOSw22pfJGtF />
As a single for £2.30

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Presto-HSCo-8-Cobalt-Jobber-Drills-Imperial-Sizes-1-16-1-2-x-1-64/153787180853?hash=item23ce6e2735:g:4e4AAOSw9KBeDhfN

ReMan

posted on 6/12/20 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Invest in a set of cobalt drills, I just got some and wished I'd had them years ago
Either way halfords do 2 for @£2.50

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

perksy

posted on 6/12/20 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Buy the best quality drills you can

Safety glasses have saved me on a few occasions from cheap ones

indykid

posted on 6/12/20 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
What alloy and how hard is 'hard'? How deep is the hole?

As above, carbide would be my go to assuming it's some sort of hardened alloy steel, but you'll be lucky to finish a hole with a hand drill. I'd want to be using a pillar drill as a minimum, fast as it'll go, but really a milling machine would be best.

Presto, Dormer and Osborn all make very good HSS/HSSCo drills IME. Even cheap carbide is typically reasonable, even the Chinese stuff from BangGood, but as said, PCB drills get knocked out like shelling peas so they're very reasonably priced.

I presume you'll be drilling perpendicular to a face with an uninterrupted cut? If not, I'd expect the life of any drill, regardless of quality, to be VERY short unless you're VERY careful.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/12/20 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Skip carbide and cobalt and go right for TCT (tungsten carbide tipped) - they have the hardness at the tip to get through stainless like butter but have a hss shaft to prevent brittle failure.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/12/20 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Duplicate

[Edited on 7/12/20 by coyoteboy]

indykid

posted on 7/12/20 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Skip carbide and cobalt and go right for TCT (tungsten carbide tipped) - they have the hardness at the tip to get through stainless like butter but have a hss shaft to prevent brittle failure.

Do you have a link for these 1.5mm TCT drills?

pigeondave

posted on 7/12/20 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid

As above, carbide would be my go to assuming it's some sort of hardened alloy steel, but you'll be lucky to finish a hole with a hand drill. I'd want to be using a pillar drill as a minimum, fast as it'll go, but really a milling machine would be best.

Is this correct advice?

I thought it was all about the pressure with metal drilling? Yes definitely use a pillar drill so you can get good pressure on the bit.
But as fast as it'll go?
I'm not sure that's correct.

Ah a quick look on the web and the bigger you go on the bit size the slower the rpm. As this is tiny, let 'er rip.

[Edited on 7/12/20 by pigeondave]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 7/12/20 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
It's mentioned above, but I'll say it again - always wear safety glasses!

Metal fragments is a really bad thing.

indykid

posted on 7/12/20 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pigeondave
quote:

Is this correct advice?

I thought it was all about the pressure with metal drilling? Yes definitely use a pillar drill so you can get good pressure on the bit.
But as fast as it'll go?

Ah a quick look on the web and the bigger you go on the bit size the slower the rpm. As this is tiny, let 'er rip.

Even at the tips of a 1.5mm drill bit running at 3000rpm you'll only be achieving ~45sfm. I appreciate the OP's not looking for production speeds and feeds, but the easiest way to break a small drill, apart from bending it, is to run it too slow with too much feed.

nick205

posted on 8/12/20 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pigeondave
quote:

Is this correct advice?

But as fast as it'll go?

Definitely correct on the speed.

I'd also second the advice on using a pillar drill over a hand drill whenever possible. Pillar drills avoid andy undue hand/arm wobble , which ultimately puts stress on the drill bit. Pillar drills also give a much more perpendicular hole as well (no matter how good you think you are with a hand drill).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.