Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Don't you just hate it when...
David Jenkins

posted on 20/2/22 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

It's worth doing a little more research. From what I have heard, the VFD should be reasonably closely matched to the motor. Oversizing it may have negative consequences, but I've not looked into it myself.

I also read that in a few places while researching (I did do some!) - over-specifying the VFD is not recommended as their internal protection circuitry, limits, etc. are usually set up for whatever rating motor they were designed to drive. I have ordered an 0.45kW VFD to drive an 0.25kW motor (just over 1/2 HP VFD for a 1/3 HP motor).

If this VFD fails to drive that motor then they'll just get it back...

Coming back to the "toothed belt via some point of slippage" debate - It now looks likely that I will keep the current rear countershaft, which means that there's a v-belt between the motor and the shaft carrying the first toothed pulley. That's never been a problem as it's far away from all the oily bits. If there is a serious jam-up then the v-belt should slip... allegedly! It's more likely that the toothed belt will strip its teeth, or similar.

pigeondave

posted on 20/2/22 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
I had a quick google for power ratings

https://www.hpcgears.com/pdf_c33/27.17-27.47.pdf

This page rates a 5mm pitch 64 tooth , 15mm wide pulley at a 1000rpm to be approx 1.7Kw

The belts generally come in 9mm,15mm and 25mm widths at 5mm tooth pitch.

I guess a 15mm or even a 25mm wide belt should work.

[Edited on 17/2/22 by rf900rush]

This is why I keep watching this forum, there's always someone who knows, or has found out some numbers to give info which is more than just a wet finger in the air.

Brilliant post!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 20/2/22 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pigeondave
quote:
I had a quick google for power ratings

https://www.hpcgears.com/pdf_c33/27.17-27.47.pdf

This page rates a 5mm pitch 64 tooth , 15mm wide pulley at a 1000rpm to be approx 1.7Kw

The belts generally come in 9mm,15mm and 25mm widths at 5mm tooth pitch.

I guess a 15mm or even a 25mm wide belt should work.

[Edited on 17/2/22 by rf900rush]

This is why I keep watching this forum, there's always someone who knows, or has found out some numbers to give info which is more than just a wet finger in the air.

Brilliant post!

Yes - that url has been bookmarked for future use!

rf900rush

posted on 26/2/22 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Look what I found

I thought I had binned it, but searing for somthine else and found it.

If you want it, I will only ask for the cost of posting it

[Edited on 26/2/22 by rf900rush]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 27/2/22 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you want it, I will only ask for the cost of posting it

Yes please! That would make the job a lot easier, as I need the lathe to do the work to change the lathe...

Let me know how much the P&P is, and I'll PayPal it to you (if you use PP, that is). I'll PM you my address once you know.

Cheers,
David

rf900rush

posted on 28/2/22 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I have pay pal

Hopefully I will take it to work, and box it to get the correct size / weight for post costs.

A guestimate , UPS dropoff (my end drop off) is £7.50 approx.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/3/22 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's amazing how these projects escalate... functionality creep, it used to be called when I worked with software...

I have my VFD and 3-phase motor, and both are working very nicely on my bench. OK so far.

Then I looked at all of the hot wires that sit not very far from where fingers can reach them (these Chinese VFDs don't subscribe to good safety management). Now I'm really experienced in dealing with live wires, but these things really aren't good and I started to get concerned - an accidental tug on one of the cables and (a) there are live wires waving around and (b) the VFD semiconductors would probably let out the magic smoke as it's always bad news when you disconnect the motor while the thing is running.

So I started to do some on-line research (always dodgy!) and it now looks like a Really Good Idea to mount the VFD in a steel cabinet, together with a DIN circuit breaker and some EFI noise suppression. I planned to use external controls for the VFD, so those buttons and switches will probably go on the cabinet door, with a cooling fan and a window so's I can see the VFD display.

And the cooling fan will need its own power supply...

And I need a new motor pulley... and they're remarkably expensive for what they are...

And I need a new countershaft pulley for the new toothed belt...

Now I just know that people will say "you don't need all that nonsense", but my personal preference is to stay alive for as long as possible (OK so far) and to avoid electrocution. I also think it's good if the installation looks smart as well.

But, actually, despite all this, I am having fun playing with all of this stuff!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.