Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New welder advice
locoboy

posted on 23/1/22 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
New welder advice

It's been a while since I needed/used the welder but dragged ti out form under the bench and the think just clicks when I pull the trigger, no wire feed at all.
It's a SIP migmate 130 and it has been woeful at best for the 15-20 years Iv'e had it, new liners, new torches, new wire feed rollers, erratic wire feed and now this.
I think it's time for her to go and be replaced by something a bit more reliable.

I use it once in a blue moon but maybe if I had a more reliable machine it would get used more .....

I don't weld 10mm thick stuff and on the same token I don't undertake car body repairs either.

bloody typical, I needed to do about a dozen tack welds to do a quick job, it took longer to get it out and set up then it would to have done the bloody welding!

Any advice welcome.
Thanks

ATB
Locoboy

Mike Wood

posted on 23/1/22 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have not got an answer but have similar issues with my SIP Migmate 130 which replaced about 10 years ago a lovely old Cebora PocketMIG from the 1980s that worked beautifully but some kind person walked off with!

If I could somehow justify the expenditure I would want to take a look at a UK made Oxford MIG - https://www.oxfordwelders.co.uk/ I am at a loss what is a good budget option. Clarke any good these days? I wonder if Cebora offer anything suitable now?

Good luck.

Hopefully someone on here has some good suggestions.

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 23/1/22 by Mike Wood]

Slimy38

posted on 23/1/22 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
A second hand Clarke is still probably the most cost effective option in my opinion. I got mine for about £100 off Gumtree, the wire was rusty (and it needed a new liner because of it), but fresh consumables and a clean got it working really well. I also swapped the earth cable for something decent with a Dinse connector.
fazerruss

posted on 23/1/22 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Oxford are great machines, built by TecArc in York. I have an Oxford Tigmaker that I use daily for my business. They a simple rugged machines built to last.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

nick205

posted on 24/1/22 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Clarke from me. I bought an ex-display 151TE a few years back and it works really well, even if left for a few months un-touched. Simple enough to setup and get going. Spares and support are readily available too.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 24/1/22 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Clarke 150 en about 15 years ago. Think I got it vat free for under 200 quid. Never missed a beat.

Prior to that I had a second hand cebora 90 amp with no fan. I took the side off, put a massive fan next to it and worked it to death for 4 years. Lovely machine.

SJ

posted on 25/1/22 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
The smaller Clark ones have rubbish wire feeders. My 105 was dreadful until I replaced the feed unit with a cheapy Ebay one. For £13 it completely transformed the machine.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 25/1/22 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
So you have any links for an example feeder?

Don't need one but send cheap enough to keep as a spare

SJ

posted on 25/1/22 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
This one - price has changed a bit

It was pretty much a straight swap - just had to drill a couple of extra holes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.