Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathe swarf tray - looking for ideas
David Jenkins

posted on 21/4/22 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lathe swarf tray - looking for ideas

I have an ancient Ztyo lathe, probably made in the late 1930's. Originally I think that it was mounted on a bench, as the swarf tray is very flimsy. After buying it I mounted it on a steel frame - and the swarf tray just wobbles around. It's made of very thin steel sheet, is patched in a few places, and I'm looking for a replacement.

It will need to be around 85cm x 35cm (33" x 14" ) and made of a reasonably stiff metal. Probably around 25mm deep (not critical).

I've looked at a few places, tried to be 'random' about where I look (e.g. cooking trays) but I just can't find anything suitable. I could get some steel sheet then cut, bend and weld it, but there's not too many places near me who'll sell just a part of a sheet - I don't want to clutter my nice newly-tidy garage with a load of leftover metal! Bending sheet steel of 1.2mm or 1.6mm would also be a challenge.

So - can anyone suggest where I could look for a ready-made tray - something I can adapt to my needs?

Toys2

posted on 21/4/22 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Any use ?
https://www.commercialdehydrators.co.uk/product/50-x-85cm-stainless-steel-pan-trays

coyoteboy

posted on 21/4/22 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Submit a drawing to Fractory.com - I was surprised by how cheap it was. If you can't find a baking tray to suit.

gremlin1234

posted on 21/4/22 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
might an upside down dexion shelf work?

this shows the size, but these ones are vented
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224933623837?hash=item345f16b81d:g:weAAAOSwhE5iVTFX

nick205

posted on 22/4/22 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Coyoteboy's Fractory suggestion seems a good call.

Alternatively are there any local fabricators local to you who might make you something suitable?

I found one local to me when building my MK Indy who helped me with metal supply and the odd bit of welding (didn't have a welder at the time). Often for very little money! Might be a simple thing for them knock up for you.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/22 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the inputs so far - I'll try and respond to each one:

The dehydrator tray: way over-sized in the front-to-back dimension (50cm). I have only a little space behind the lathe because of the motor drive belt & pulleys. At a pinch, it could be cut and welded at the back as I would need a near vertical piece there anyway, to support the splash/swarf screen I plan to fit. Also, I'm not sure it would be sturdy enough - I suspect that it's quite thin metal - I'd have to handle one to see how rigid it would be. Not writing it off completely though, as I like the shallow sloping edges that would be perfect for the front and sides.

Dexion shelf: Not sure how rigid that would be when off the racking and unsupported. Worth investigating though, as long as they don't have too many inconvenient holes. I don't use free-flowing cutting fluid - too messy - but the current tray often gets covered in fine swarf that seems to get everywhere, together with oil from the plain bearings.

Fractory.com: Nice idea, although I'd have to produce a decent drawing - maybe a DXF file? I can do that, but it will mean a lot of head-scratching!

Local fabricator: Very good idea, if I can find one. Ipswich and its surrounding area used to be quite an industrial town, but there's not many places left nowadays*. Worth doing some research anyway, and at least I can get away with a rough pencil sketch to illustrate what I want!

I should add that I don't intend to be a cheapskate about this tray - but it would be nice to get something off the shelf that I can use with little or no modification.

Keep the ideas coming - I need all the help I can get!

* UPDATE: I was wrong - I found three local fabricators, one of which is the sort of place that will turn their hand to automotive, domestic and industrial work. Time to get a drawing together!

[Edited on 22/4/22 by David Jenkins]

gremlin1234

posted on 22/4/22 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
but it would be nice to get something off the shelf that I can use with little or no modification.

The dexion, is not quite off the shelf, - its the shelf itself! -

David Jenkins

posted on 22/4/22 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

The dexion, is not quite off the shelf, - its the shelf itself! -

D'oh!

nick205

posted on 23/4/22 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Get busy drawing what you need and off to that fabricator. Useful friends to have.
suzcruz

posted on 24/4/22 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
My benchtop RF32 mill had 1/2 of a 44 gallon drum split in 2 pieces with the front edge at 4oclock and back at 10.
It was sealed up near the base with patch and bolted on with 40mm x 3mm angle.
It held coolant and stopped 70% of the chips hitting the floor.

No brain, no pain!

David Jenkins

posted on 25/4/22 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Get busy drawing what you need and off to that fabricator. Useful friends to have.

Just visited the man - he's more than happy to do it, so I'll prepare some sensible drawings (rather than the 'back of a fag packet' sketch I showed him!) and get back to him.

nick205

posted on 25/4/22 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

Just visited the man - he's more than happy to do it, so I'll prepare some sensible drawings (rather than the 'back of a fag packet' sketch I showed him!) and get back to him.

Winner!

Get drawing and let him get making - then you can get turning

David Jenkins

posted on 1/5/22 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Winner!

Get drawing and let him get making - then you can get turning

He now has the drawing! It's being made next week. He's also including the cost of the metal for the splash-back, once I am able to work out the size (I need the lathe fitted to the tray first).

I am trying to fix all the things that have annoyed me over all the years I've owned this lathe (more than 20 years now). It has a proper toothed drive belt that doesn't slip (and doesn't need to be moved to a different pulley for speed changes), a VFD and 3-phase motor that starts and runs so smoothly, with speed control (but still with the back-gear operational), a proper electronics cabinet to hold the VFD and all its associated buttons, and the lathe itself is now up on raising blocks so that I can clear away all the swarf that drops inside the bed - it now falls straight through to the chip tray.

I have a speed range of 27 rpm minimum in back gear, 188 rpm in 'normal' gear, up to a max of 938 rpm at full speed (theoretical/calculated speeds). A bit of research has shown that 1000 rpm is a good maximum for plain bearings. At all speeds the motor is running fast enough to cool itself (min motor speed in this setup is 560 rpm). I'm glad I didn't get too big a motor (1/3HP) as I have managed to stall it when accidentally making a too-deep cut - all that happened is everything stopped. Sensible cuts work really well - even though they're far deeper than I used to take before modifying everything.

I'll post a few pictures once I finish everything (only the tray and back-splash to go).

[Edited on 2/5/22 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.