Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any thoughts on Impact Wrench
Schrodinger

posted on 1/5/22 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Any thoughts on Impact Wrench

I am looking to buy an impact wrench to add to my tool kit, so far I have looked at Dewalt, Makita & Ryobi.
Can anybody recommend a model for me. I will not be giving it heavy use but would lik something tolast.

Keith
Aviemore

Sanzomat

posted on 1/5/22 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the main choice is what batteries do you already have. My cordless tools are all Erbauer EXT now so when they brought out an impact wrench I went for theirs as a bare unit. Very happy with it. Rattles off wheel nuts no problem and even managed a crank pulley with a fair few rattles to start it off. Battery lasts ages so no need to go for a high capacity one. No adjustable torque but I mainly use it for loosening and just do up until the first ugga dugga then change to a socket/torque wrench. I've got loads of Erbauer EXT tools and all the brushless ones seem pretty bullet proof and I've given them quite a bit of abuse now. The only one that I managed to kill off was the brushed combi drill but I only bought that for the batteries as it was on offer with 2 batteries, a charger and case for less than the price of 2 batteries at the time!
ReMan

posted on 1/5/22 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
One of these changed my life
Current screwfix offer, just get a cjheap battery and charger

See my thread, pattern battery and charger, its not failed me on anything yet
https://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=215614

[Edited on 1/5/22 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Slimy38

posted on 1/5/22 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I went for the Clarke mains power one, it's about a fifth the price of most decent wrenches but it's probably priced about right. To be fair it did help to detach an MX5 driveshaft from the upright, so I guess it's earned it's place in my garage.

I still wonder about getting some sort of battery one though.

mark chandler

posted on 1/5/22 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have started using Milwaukee battery tools so splashed out on one of these

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/m18fhiwf12-0-impact-wrench-bare-unit

It’s amazing, sheers tractor wheel nuts on full power!

So I got myself a 1/4” hex drive for smaller stuff and some hex to square 1/4” 3/8” & 1/2”

https://uk.milwaukeetool.eu/en-gb/m18-fuel-one-key-8243;-hex-impact-driver/m18-oneid2/

This little puppy beats any air tool wrenches that I have had with ease.

[Edited on 1/5/22 by mark chandler]

big_wasa

posted on 2/5/22 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I picked Dewalt over Milwaukee as Milwaukee didn’t offer a couple of tools I wanted at the time.
I have the dewalt 1/2” impact and it did the Sierra front and rear hub nuts with ease and the rears are quoted at something like 300+ ft/lb.

number-1

posted on 2/5/22 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Im watching this thread as i am also in need of something smaller than the one i have. Its a NEILSEN CT3141. It wont undo wheel nuts unless they are cracked already but has got me out of a few situations well
ReMan

posted on 2/5/22 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Im watching this thread as i am also in need of something smaller than the one i have. Its a NEILSEN CT3141. It wont undo wheel nuts unless they are cracked already but has got me out of a few situations well

Why would you want one that won't manage to undo wheel nuts?
Nevertheless the DEwalt and Milwawkeee are both quite big, but I take that for what they are capable of

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

number-1

posted on 2/5/22 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Erm....... im not....... I was saying the one i have doesn't undo them....hence me after a new one
pigeondave

posted on 2/5/22 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
This channel is good for tests and reviews
https://www.youtube.com/c/TorqueTestChannel/videos
theres also a league table which they do.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 24/5/23 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve recently treated myself to a Milwaukee as mark chandler recommended, yes it wasn’t exactly cheap but it’s without a doubt the most powerful 1/2” drive impact wrench I have ever used . Way better than my battery powered Dewalt and my Snap On air
wrench

40inches

posted on 24/5/23 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have the Ryobi, because I already had the charger. I was initially disappointed with the 2.5 amp battery fitted, but a cheap ebay 5 amp battery sorted it. It will undue a wheel nut torqued to 120 ft/lb That's all I need.
SJ

posted on 25/5/23 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I just use an air powered one on the very occasional time I need it.

A far more useful tool is an electric ratchet. Best tool I ever bought for working on a car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.