New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MIG Welding gas suppliers
Bluemoon

posted on 13/5/22 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
MIG Welding gas suppliers

Hi All,

I need to get hold of some welding gas.

What do you recommend?

- just learning to MIG mild steel - I have a repair on 19mm box (1mm thick). Will use 0.6mm wire.

Seems

Hobby weld 5,
or Adams gas (95% argon, 5% CO2)

Are available,

any other thoughts?

Dan

big_wasa

posted on 13/5/22 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
My local welding supplier does there own as many now do. The local hobyweld guy is great as he is more flexible on collection out side the 9~5 but his workshop recently burnt down.

I haven’t been brave enough to see how prices have changed in the last six months. What sort of prices are you getting ?

loggyboy

posted on 13/5/22 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
For small bits, £15 disposables from halfords. Did my rollcage plates on 2.5 of them

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 14/5/22 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Adams gas or Hobbyweld are the best options, particularly as they don't do rental on their bottles. Just a deposit and you're sorted. You will need a regulator though, I recommend a twin gauge one as they are easy to work with.

The main issue I have (with Adams Gas but I think Hobbyweld will be the same) is that stockists vanish quickly. I've had four refills from three different suppliers, purely because previous people have just stopped doing it. Or they concentrate on trade tanks and don't stock the hobby size tanks.

Just checking now, the stockist that I got my last refill from six months ago has also gone...

obfripper

posted on 14/5/22 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I use sgs gas and target gas from several suppliers, but they are west/southwest orientated, i don't know how much else of the uk they cover.

On the supplier end, they purchase pallets of gas bottles and set their own prices, prior to brexit/covid there had not been any wholesale price rises from sgs for the gas since 2008, but the retail price had risen quite a bit in that time from some suppliers but not others, so shopping around is necessary.

It looks like gas prices have generally risen since i last refilled, as boc are now £150 rental/yr and £100 refill for a size y(20l) bottle, my last target argon bottle was £180 including bottle deposit, and at the time £60 for a refill which was the same as boc (ignoring boc having 15% more gas due to pressure differences).

Dave

David Jenkins

posted on 14/5/22 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Adams gas or Hobbyweld are the best options, particularly as they don't do rental on their bottles. Just a deposit and you're sorted. You will need a regulator though, I recommend a twin gauge one as they are easy to work with.

The main issue I have (with Adams Gas but I think Hobbyweld will be the same) is that stockists vanish quickly. I've had four refills from three different suppliers, purely because previous people have just stopped doing it. Or they concentrate on trade tanks and don't stock the hobby size tanks.

Just checking now, the stockist that I got my last refill from six months ago has also gone...

Adams Gas is really centred around Margate in Kent, for better or worse. Outside of the extreme south-east of England (Kent and neighbouring counties) you may struggle. I am lucky in that there is an agent near Bury St Edmunds, a town we visit quite often (I live just south of Ipswich). The major advantage of Adams Gas is that they don't charge rental on their cylinders - if you're a first-time buyer you pay the cost of the gas, plus a refundable cylinder deposit. This is a major concern when I want argon/CO2 mix for my MIG welder, which I only use occasionally. Using BOC gas (which I used to do) would cost me an absolute fortune in annual cylinder rental, for gas I use rarely.

Every cylinder I've had from them has looked near-enough new and in very good condition. I have no compaints about them.

Slimy38

posted on 15/5/22 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Adams Gas is really centred around Margate in Kent, for better or worse. Outside of the extreme south-east of England (Kent and neighbouring counties) you may struggle.

I did have several local suppliers in the Midlands, the first one was about 3 miles from me so that was the best option. That business completely closed so there was another a bit further away for my next tank. They stopped doing the hobby gas (although they were still listed as a trade gas supplier) so I went a bit further away.

This next one was my favourite, a car restoration shop that had some beautiful cars to look at. My wife started to wonder why it had taken a couple of hours to travel 10 miles!! He just did the gas on the side, he had a cage of tanks by his workshop. I'm guessing it was either so he had easy access to gas or he got a bit of a discount.

Sadly they're no longer on the list so I'm now up to 17 miles away for my next one. This one seems to be a regular MOT garage. If it gets much further then I might switch to Hobbyweld, as they now have a supplier a couple of miles up the road that wasn't there before.

rusty nuts

posted on 15/5/22 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have a bottle of argon from Adams gas but my now nearest suppliers is 40miles away , My CO /argon bottle is from my local motorfactors who will also deliver to me . Check out your local motorfactors!
OliilO

posted on 15/5/22 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I got mine from Cassell Welding in Reading recently. He does small and large bottles of Hobbyweld.

Not on your doorstep but not far away.

http://cassellwelding.com/index.htm

nick205

posted on 15/5/22 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Motor Parts Direct motor factors supply welding gas. You can check on their website for your closest branch.

Failing that look for a local welding supplier. Many supply gas.

trextr7monkey

posted on 15/5/22 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Used BOC then Hobbyweld but recently moved to Albee gas after picking up an empty bottle- it has a regulator fitted and the stockist is about 4 miles away. It’s a French company but I think they’re nationwide

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

MikeR

posted on 16/5/22 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
If you're welding thin stuff try to get an argon mix, it's a little cooler than co2. Will be a little easier to learn but more expensive.
David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/22 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
If you're welding thin stuff try to get an argon mix, it's a little cooler than co2. Will be a little easier to learn but more expensive.

It's also much cleaner, with far less spatter, and a lot less "frantic" when welding. You just get a steady (loud) fizz and its a lot more controllable.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/5/22 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Out of those two, I'd go Hobby Weld 5, based on my experience (MIG, mild steel). No rental, just remember to carefully file the paper you get with the first bottle (so you can get your deposit back when you terminate). MIG sips gas economically. If/when your gas demand becomes greater, I'd say go to BOC. Refill costs are cheaper, but you get the bottle rental. Argoshield light is what you want from BOC. I use BOC as well (Argon, not a mix) for the TIG, which consumes gas heavily, but in an emergency it'll MIG reasonably well on mild steel too.
nick205

posted on 16/5/22 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with comments above Argoshield works better for me when MIG'ging mild steel.

I've tried the disposable CO2 canisters. The MIG doesn't run as smooth for me and I probably end up using the CO2 faster than Argoshield to try and compensate.

ETA - if you find a local welding supplier they'll probably do rent free bottles. Slightly higher initial cost as you're paying for the bottle + gas. After that it's an exchange empty bottle for full bottle with the same welding supplier.

[Edited on 16/5/22 by nick205]

Bluemoon

posted on 16/5/22 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for, the helpful info.

Wish to avoid bottle rental - I will not use enough gas. However, I can split the cost with a friend who is also keen on doing some welding.

Adams gas appears to have a few distributors near ~12miles (not ideal but not so bad) - as does hobbyweld. Addams seems better value however, 2^m3 for the same cost at 1.3m^2 from hobby weld.

We will see if anything more local - but can see having a more "national" distributor when the time comes to re-fill/return the deposit.

Regards,

Dan

SJ

posted on 16/5/22 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
For small bits, £15 disposables from halfords. Did my rollcage plates on 2.5 of them

Me too. I've got through three so far on my MGB restoration. One more shoudl see it done.

MikeR

posted on 16/5/22 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you're looking at disposable, check online at Amazon and eBay. Just be sure to check the size on case they're different (make sure you're comparing apples with apples)
JonBowden

posted on 17/5/22 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I get my gas (pure argon for TIG) from BOC. Mostly as the agent is nearby. The cylinder is big, size Y. Cost a bit over £60 per year rental and about the same for a refill. Last time I checked it worked out cheaper than alternatives.

Jon

Dingz

posted on 20/5/22 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
If your local to Bedfordshire try GGB services at Old Warden, I’ll have to declare some interest as it’s run by a former work colleague.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

paulf

posted on 23/5/22 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have always used co2 for migwelding steel at home, i have used argon mix at work and it is abit better for ease of use and less spatter but c02 works fine.
I used to use pub co2 bottles with an adaptor for the regulator but there not that easy to get without an account nowaday.The last time i needed gas i bought a couple of 5kg extinguishers on facebook sales for £10 each and am currently using them.
The regulator may freeze up ocasionally in heavy use as the extinguishers have a dip tube to supply liquid but it normally vaporises in the regulator with no issues.

Bluemoon

posted on 27/5/22 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to everyone for your input.

The following prices were found:

Adams gas 10Ltr, 95% Argon, 5% C02 £55 cylinder deposit. 2m^3 gas. £46 gas, (£10 admin fee on return) £101 inc VAT
Hobbweld5 10Ltr 93% Argon, 5% C02, 2%O2, £70 cylinder deposit, 1.34m^3. £48 gas, £118 inc VAT
Motor Parts Direct 10Ltr 95% Argon, 5% C02 £96 cylinder deposit. £50 gas, (£10 admin fee on return) £146 inc VAT

Range around local motor factors - all stopped stocking gas in the last few years

So I went with Adams - slight inconvenience (13miles) but the best option for me - best value too in terms of gas volume. Adams and the supplier were also very responsive. Picked up the bottle early morning - the cylinder looks new which is a bonus.

As normal if you want the cheapest use CO2 - but I will need all the help I to get a decent weld.

Dan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.