Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interesting angry grinder experience
Slimy38

posted on 8/6/23 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting angry grinder experience

I bought some more flap wheel discs from the show on Saturday, and I've just come to try one out. It looked ok, bolted down securely enough, but when I started the grinder the vibrations were horrific! Ten seconds in, my hands were cramping up and I was in danger of dropping the grinder.

The second one of the pack was better but I could still feel something. Now I've never really paid much for my discs, a Toolstation or Screwfix special is about as far as I go. I've never had vibration issues from any shop bought disc.

These ones from the show were particularly cheap (8 for £10), but I kind of expected them to at least be round. Was I expecting too much, should I be spending a bit more money? If so, are there any 'brands' that would be worth watching out for? The last one I got from Toolstation was a Rhodius, purely because it was the cheapest. https://www.toolstation.com/rhodius-zirconium-flap-disc-115-x-222mm/p13784

MikeR

posted on 8/6/23 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I always get them from Aldi, Lidl, Toolstation or Screwfix.

My issue is I know they don't age well and I worry how long I've had some of mine.

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/6/23 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Chances are if sold at a show stall they were too crap for selling in a shop and were dug out the reject bin, think del boy and Rodney. Really anything made that bad should be thrown in the bin as if it explodes you'll be picking crap out your leg, face etc.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 8/6/23 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Chances are if sold at a show stall they were too crap for selling in a shop and were dug out the reject bin, think del boy and Rodney. Really anything made that bad should be thrown in the bin as if it explodes you'll be picking crap out your leg, face etc.

Aye it got immediately deposited in the bin, the second one seems ok but I am tempted to just dispose of all of them.

Slimy38

posted on 8/6/23 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I always get them from Aldi, Lidl, Toolstation or Screwfix.

My issue is I know they don't age well and I worry how long I've had some of mine.

Ah, interesting, I bet some of mine could be measured in decades rather than years. Perhaps a clear out and restock would be best. I've also used Aldi ones with no issues (apart from the ones that were too big, but that was my fault for not paying attention!).

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/6/23 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Last flap discs I got were real fleabay specials, 40 for £10 or something. Not as long lasting as some (not a surprise) but all been OK in terms of vibration.
On teh other hand, I have used soem Noton finishing discs (they are beautiful to use, fast and gib=ve an almost mirror finish) WHen I checked to see how much I could buy them for, £15. Each.
So until I get any more freebies (unlikely) I am keeping the remaining ones for "best" and teh cheap flapwheels do most of the work.
I have used Parweld discs, they are pretty decent, not bad costwise either

nick205

posted on 8/6/23 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Toolstation & Screwfix generally for me.

When they start to lose effectiveness they go in the bin.

Angry Grinders are dangerous enough as it is - adding cheap, dodgy discs to them seem to be asking for painful trouble.

Slimy38

posted on 8/6/23 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Angry Grinders are dangerous enough as it is - adding cheap, dodgy discs to them seem to be asking for painful trouble.

Aye, it's the one tool that I'm still very uncomfortable with. Even my powerfile can generate a similar amount of sparks but feels much safer. At least I know if the powerfile gets jammed up it will stall, whereas angry grinders will go through concrete, steel and body parts before they ease up.

Given that Toolstation and Screwfix have been mentioned multiple times I think I'll stick with them. It's not worth the grief to try and save money.

Slimy38

posted on 8/6/23 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Last flap discs I got were real fleabay specials, 40 for £10 or something. Not as long lasting as some (not a surprise) but all been OK in terms of vibration.
On teh other hand, I have used soem Noton finishing discs (they are beautiful to use, fast and gib=ve an almost mirror finish) WHen I checked to see how much I could buy them for, £15. Each.
So until I get any more freebies (unlikely) I am keeping the remaining ones for "best" and teh cheap flapwheels do most of the work.
I have used Parweld discs, they are pretty decent, not bad costwise either

I'll keep an eye out for Parweld discs, just doing a quick Google for Norton discs shows they are mega out of my budget!!

Half Finished

posted on 8/6/23 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar experience with some die grinder stones I bought from the show. I touched one to metal and it turned to dust almost instantly.
The show was good but I felt a bit disappointed about the comparative lack of car parts for sale.

jacko

posted on 9/6/23 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Years ago I bought some 100mm sanding discs when I tried to use them the grit just fell off with the first tuck on the metal
I buy a good make know 😀
Graham9

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.