Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding Equipmet Regulator Advice Needed
John P

posted on 28/2/24 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Welding Equipmet Regulator Advice Needed

Years ago I got an old ESAB 125 Mig welder from a company which was closing down.

It has a small Air Products gas cylinder which is currently filled with Cougar gas. The regulator is made by Xcel and appears to be good quality.

Unfortunately, last year a length of steel fell over and just caught the gas flow meter which was completely destroyed but, amazingly, doesn't actually leak.

Welding Regulator
Welding Regulator

I have tried to source just a gauge without much success so was thinking about getting a ball in a tube type instead, similar to this https://www.weldequip.com/flowmeter.htm.

So:
1) Could I rotate the regulator so that the outlet is horizontal and then fit the new flow gauge.

2) Any idea what thread the old smashed gauge would have as I will presumably need to plug this off. I don't really want to take it off to measure it before I get the replacement as it is sort of useable at the moment and I do have a small job to do.

John.

cliftyhanger

posted on 28/2/24 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thread is probably 1/8npt. And a gauge is probably a fiver from fleabay.
rusty nuts

posted on 1/3/24 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
You might get more advice on the Mig welding forum ?
daviep

posted on 1/3/24 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
No problem turning it 90degrees and fitting a flow meter. Also don't be scared to take the damaged gauge of to identify the thread, just be aware there may be a tiny copper sealing washer at the bottom of the fitting that you should not lose! I'll guess that the thread is 1/4" bsp

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.