Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not bad for a days work
Chris_R

posted on 6/3/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Not bad for a days work

Decided to build an engine crane instead of buying or renting one. Though it would be a bit of fun and I'd have something to show for it. I've prolly put in about 7 hours over the weekend and it looks like this so far.

Anyone know how to rate it's capacity without buggering it?

[Edited on 6/3/05 by Chris_R]

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 6/3/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about capacity but i built one years ago and used a hyd pump and ram from a leyland bison (double acting ). It folds up flat (unlike yours) and when upright it is located with a 1/2 inch bolt at the base. It has i am told by a borrower lifted the complete front of his mgb gtv8 clean off of the ground. Just remember the longer the jib the more force will be applied to any pivot points. So 1/2 ton at 1mtr is the same as 1/4 ton at 2 mtrs
Northy

posted on 6/3/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
My dad built one for work, when the H&S guy saw it, he asked "how oftern is that tested?".

My dad replied, "Every time we use it!"

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clbarclay

posted on 6/3/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer my engine hoist to have a little more reach and capacity.

Very useful for not just lifting front ends, but also whole cars. Makes moving shells with no wheels left on very easy. Rescued attachment Engine hoist small.JPG
Rescued attachment Engine hoist small.JPG

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/3/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Chris.. very nice

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

NS Dev

posted on 7/3/05 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
yes, I used to use one of those when I was at the farm, twas a Manitou but the effect was the same!

Now have a diy engine crane, knocked up in an evening where I used to work, was quick because we had a CNC plasma/gas profiler (twin head) and I did all the plates/gussets etc on that! On mine the legs just slot in and out of boxed sockets to make it smaller for transport. I also had a hand pump from an old big square baler to hand and a selection of rams!

I used to work for Vicon Ltd (formerly Greenland UK ltd and SKH ltd) an agricultural engineering/design company, in their prototype dept.

As for the rating, who knows, and who cares! It lifts a (smallish) tree stump out of the ground without too much difficulty, and the front end of an Opel Manta wasn't too much for it!

clbarclay

posted on 7/3/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
The other benefit is as a portable hydraulic press. Just stick a palet fork where you need it and proceed to raise the front of the machine of the ground.

Not as much force as a big hydraulic press (about 3 to 4 tonnes) but can staighten big frames without dismantling.

Chris_R

posted on 7/3/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Think a press will be the next project. Not gonna buy any heavy plant though.

clbarclay

posted on 7/3/05 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I forgot to say, not only can you move your own cars about, you can also move other peoples. Last time any one parks blocking your drive way.

Hows the hoist comming on, any more photos?

[Edited on 7/3/05 by clbarclay]

Chris_R

posted on 7/3/05 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
nah, not yet. work all week and garage is 12 miles away. Will be the weekend before I can have another go.

clbarclay

posted on 10/3/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Rateing a hoists max capacity

To rate the crane dec ide on what its going to lift. In this case it looks like you only want it to lift car engines so 250kg will be plenty, and if you've built the carne anything like a production crane this should be about right. If in dought build the hoist stronger with more triangulatrion.

Load the carne up with 275kg (250 plus 10% extra) and if the crane lifts it, you know it is good for 250kg.

Stamp 250kg on the crane as a maximum capacity.

When designing a hoist etc. they will test them to destruction but all cranes/hoists/lift trucks that are to be sold, they build them and test them to there max load + a safety margen.

If it passes then you know its good and if it fails then be glad it failed on a test load and not when you have a hand (or worse) under the load.

[Edited on 10/3/05 by clbarclay]

[Edited on 10/3/05 by clbarclay]

Chris_R

posted on 13/3/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get a little done this weekend. The jack perch is almost done, but does need a bit of tweeking.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 13/3/05 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good mate

Certainly a beast !!!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Chris_R

posted on 13/3/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hope it works.

clbarclay

posted on 13/3/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
What hydraulics (rams, pumps etc.) are you using?

Chris_R

posted on 13/3/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Prolly a 6 tonne bottle jack. should do the trick, it'll be cheap as chips and will fit snuggly in the press that's next on the list.

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/3/05 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
What hydraulics (rams, pumps etc.) are you using?

Personally I'd use sheep and trainers.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

clbarclay

posted on 16/3/05 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Using (and abusing) sheep is a baaa...d idea.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.