Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New toy...
David Jenkins

posted on 2/8/05 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
New toy...

Treated myself to a birthday present...

...wish I'd bought it when I did my bodywork. Cuts through ali sheet like a hot knife through butter. Don't end up cutting my hands to ribbons on the edges any more, either!

DJ Rescued attachment shears.jpg
Rescued attachment shears.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 2/8/05 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
ive used one of those - i cant get away with it. It forever sticks and snags up when cutting. Its poss that the blades have started to go blunt tho. it could be worth lubricating the ali with WD40 when cutting to prolong the life. They like a lot of air as well.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/8/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
They certainly need lots of air - I've got a 10 cu.ft/min, 50 litre compressor and it starts running almost as soon as I begin cutting. It keeps up easily though. The instruction sheet says that it requires 7 cu.ft/min with a 50 litre minimum tank.

The only time it gave me trouble was when I was cutting ali with protective film - it didn't like the extra plastic sheet.

I should add that cutting sheet metal is one of my pet hates - it never seemed to go as well as I would like, and I was forever carving my fingers up. Any mechanical aid is welcome!

DJ

[Edited on 2/8/05 by David Jenkins]

RoadkillUK

posted on 2/8/05 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of these, it's so easy to cut through the ali.

I used mine this weekend too, to cut part of the transmission tunnel.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 2/8/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't be without mine!
I bought one of the cheaper (£50) electric drill attachment jobbies at the Detling show. It make easy work of cutting complex shapes in sheet material - and burr free too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 2/8/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I wouldn't be without mine!
I bought one of the cheaper (£50) electric drill attachment jobbies at the Detling show. It make easy work of cutting complex shapes in sheet material - and burr free too.

I got one of these too... works very well indeed. However, Stainless Steel sheet has snapped my first Pin / blade. Good Job I got a spare!.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Rorty

posted on 3/8/05 at 04:14 AM Reply With Quote
I had a cheapie air nibler too, but this is my weapon of choice:

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

jww

posted on 4/8/05 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Top tip - WD40 is good for cutting steel, but if you can (be bothered) use paraffin or Ajax window cleaner (yup really) instead for cutting aluminium. No clue at all what to use for stainless :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.