Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How many GT1's are there ??
khm

posted on 21/11/06 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
How many GT1's are there ??

We have two, Andy North has his in France, just wondered how many more were out there ?? saw a white one at stoneliegh this year, so thats 4 on the road !!
greggors84

posted on 21/11/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Jon Ison had one, but I think he has just sold it.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Andy North

posted on 21/11/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
The MK distributor in Holland has/had one (think it was black). I know he wanted a lot more than you are asking for yours, that's why I bought mine from Paul Leggot
Mike S

posted on 21/11/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one !!!

Nearing completion (now scheduled for spring 07 to get new 07 plate)

I would be very suprised if there are 20 - 30. Would have thought 8 - 10 would be nearer the mark, but I am sure Martin will know.

Also, don't think the GT-1 was ever sold on as a project. It evolved into the GTR which was then sold on to Spires (I think)

So, a petty rare beast, and well cheap at the price you are asking for yours.

Cheers

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

Hellfire

posted on 21/11/06 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
There are/were approximately 20 chassis and sets of bodywork produced. About 10 at most are/were in the UK, the other ten went abroad.

Evolution Sportscars were the manufacturer of the GTR after MK Engineering and before Spire, although I use the word 'manufacturer' loosely. (Not sure if Evolution Sportscars ever actually manufactured any before selling it on).

Phil

Andy North

posted on 22/11/06 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Annoying the guy who bought the project has done nothing with it. The thing that bothers me is if any of these cars get damaged, there are no replacement panels available.
Mike S

posted on 22/11/06 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Oh. ok. I didn't know the GT-1 had been sold on as a project.

I agree with Andy that the potential problem of getting replacement bodywork will be a real pain.

Having done a bit of investigation, I understand that the Dominator body would fit the GT-1 chassis with minor mods as the Dominator was developed by Paul Leggot from his GT-1 (now Andy's car). [don't know if this had Martins blessing though!]

I actually considered a new body as I think the 6 piece body of the GT-1 is weak and a real pain to get the side pods right and well supported, and there is not much room in the front wing for headlights.

The side pods and cockpit cowling as a single moulding is, I believe, a better solution.

If we could somehow get hold of the moulds we could do something with it.

If the GT-1 project owner does not want to play, I guess the options are look at Domonator bodywork (I think Jon Ison may have gone this route) or make a new set of moulds?

Cheers

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

khm

posted on 22/11/06 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
So it looks like 5 so far !! I know a few have been crashed, also like jon Ison have damaged panels then had to go to dominator ( as far as i know, Martin was none too chuffed about developing a chassis then having it copied )
Andy North

posted on 22/11/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Not wanting to go down the route of Mr Leggot in developing a car or selling any parts (or offending anyone), what would it take to get some standard or modified panels made?
DIY Si

posted on 22/11/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
You might be able to give someone your complete shell, and get them to take moulds off it. No idea how practical this is though, or how expensive.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

marc n

posted on 22/11/06 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
as a rough guide for moulds in my experiance is 4 times the cost of the product which you make, so if a conplete boyshell kit for you car is £700 then the moulds to make it are roughly 4 times that

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
khm

posted on 22/11/06 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
The moral of this story is -
Don't crash !! ( famous last words )
Or have a good supply of glassfibre on stock !

ned

posted on 22/11/06 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
As marc says really a mate of mine modified the front and rear panels of his mid engine racecar (extended and made it more aerodynamic) and had new moulds made from the bucks he made out of an accident damaged nose and rear/engine cover, cost several thousand to make the moulds, then the cost of each piece that's pulled from them, economies of scale you really need to knock em out to get the price reasonable..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 22/11/06 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I know of two others not listed above, one is now in Holland and one in south Yorkshire somewhere, the guy "Pat" from south Yorkshire came on here a couple of times when he damaged his bodywork I also know he went too the guy in Scarborough who as the moulds and had some bodywork made, that's around 12 months ago, apart from that I cant think of anymore.
The dominator bodywork can be made too fit but there are a few mods too chassis and bodywork, I preferred the rear end dominator bodywork too the MK as it was lower and fit around the wheels better but preferred the MK front, the quality of the MK bodywork was better.
Dont know if the dominator is still going ? The bodywork I bought was second hand "kit car crisis" but new Paul was asking £500 a panel, £1500 total.

khm

posted on 22/11/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Any advance on seven ??
Jon Ison

posted on 22/11/06 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
8, but I killed that one.

Syd Bridge

posted on 22/11/06 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy North
Not wanting to go down the route of Mr Leggot in developing a car or selling any parts (or offending anyone), what would it take to get some standard or modified panels made?

Now, I know a fella looks just like me who could do a set of moulds, if you have the panels. If the fella can keep the moulds, then your cost would be very minimal, as you are letting him make the moulds and sell parts from them if they are ever needed.

Cheers,
Syd.

Andy North

posted on 22/11/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
That would be 700 pounds for each owner?
khm

posted on 22/11/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
really you need a set of new panels to mould off & the only one's seem to be Mike s 's ??
harm

posted on 9/12/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
hi folks

there is two in holland for shure
I bought the jon ison gt1 with a dominator body fitted
actually i like to replace it with the original body

but i heard the moulds are sold to...italy? or am i wrong
does anybody have mould made or have a spare body please contact me through my mail radical1300@home.nl

jon did an engine change for me so now I can fit a hayabusa engine with a turbo system in it

the blackbird with dry sump is for sale

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.