Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding gas bottles
flak monkey

posted on 25/11/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Welding gas bottles

Can anyone give me a rough idea how much rental and refills are on small bottles of argosheild from BOC?

Also are they supplied with regulators?

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

big_wasa

posted on 25/11/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
£40 rental + £39 a refill on argon shield.

So £80 to start you of then £40 per year + £40 a refill as and when.

suparuss

posted on 25/11/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
no regs on boc bottles unfortunately.

Description
Description

the fixed charge for delivery in bottom left is cut off but says £36.72 but doesnt apply if you pick up from the suplier.

big_wasa

posted on 25/11/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
"regulator" no, even had to buy a key to turn the bottle on and of. A full quid

Regulators are around £25.

oliwb

posted on 25/11/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Can second air products! Me and Mark were discussing it recently and both had exactly the same experience with BOC.....I for one would rather give my money to AP for what is actually a better product anyway! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 25/11/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
BOC pirates

says £36.72 but doesnt apply if you pick up from the suplier. No but the £12.16 pickup charge applies if you fetch your own. It's to cover "administration"

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jebus

posted on 25/11/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
another vote for the ap stuff, up here the service is amazing, all the gas we use in the welding workshop at college is ap stuff, and if the order gets faxed to the guy at 9 ish then he gets all the bottles of argon,oxygen,accetlene 2 us by midday.
big_wasa

posted on 26/11/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
AP for what is actually a better product anyway! Oli.

Why is it a beter product ? Do tell...

Now I have finished the chassis I would be interested in a cheaper product with out going back to Co2

I get mine from an agent( I think this is where your £12.16 goes), The same place as all my steel/alloy/shotblasting and powder coating. The service has allways been spot on.

Peteff

posted on 26/11/06 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is where your £12.16 goes

You get charged that wherever you fetch BOC bottles from. I used to collect from the main depot at Bawtry Road, Brinsworth and the place was like Fort Knox with vehicle searches on the gate going in and coming out. I gave up on them when they knocked the rental period down from 5 years to 12 months and left the price the same. I now use Energas at Derby or Kirkby in Ashfield and don't pay any collection charge.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

flak monkey

posted on 26/11/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you gentlemen. I have both AP and BOC distributors within 10mins of home. Shall have words with them when I get back.

Next question, Argosheild or pure argon for general TIG welding?

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

clementine

posted on 26/11/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Pure argon for TIG. Argoshield welds perfectly well with TIG on mild steel but I understand it messes up the tungstons.

I'm with BOC. Worked out that size Y (half sized bottle) of pure argon and one refill a year would cost £113 from BOC and £143 from Air Products. I get service with a smile from my local BOC place, but I guess standards of service vary.

Interestingly size Y works out a lot cheaper than size X especially when the service charges are taken into account.

[Edited on 26/11/06 by clementine]

ashtal

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Got an old co2 bottle from allied brewerys if anyone wants it. Its empty but i dont have a pub who can refill it. Just got one from green king so no longer need it.
NS Dev

posted on 28/11/06 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Air products here (for my pure Argon this is), through nuneaton welding supplies. Only have to pay the £12 or whatever if I want it delivered to my home, if I collect from the yard in Nuneaton then no need to pay.

Use a size W bottle if you can, its MILES cheaper, but obviously bloody big and heavy! Still goes in the car with the seats down though.

Works out about £170 a year assuming one fill. Rent is £8 a month incl the dreaded according to my direct debit thingy. Remember that is for what, nearly 3 size y bottles isn't it?

[Edited on 28/11/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

dave r

posted on 28/11/06 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
size w..... thats about the same as a normal oxy/acet sized ?? about 5 an half foot tall ?
NS Dev

posted on 29/11/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
That's the one. I just got one of those, they are not much more expensive than the size Y, which is miles smaller!

The size W will go in the car, but my car is old and knackered so I don't care what damage is does to it! If your car is newer you might think differently!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

dave r

posted on 29/11/06 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
ta
have just aquired a hobart set

need bottle and regulator now

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.