Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using the lathe for tube notching
Alan B

posted on 5/7/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Using the lathe for tube notching

Not rocket science, nor probably even original, but worth sharing.....was easy to do, fairly cheap and worked well. Should be self explanatory. I do use a holesaw and notching fixture for most of these, but this was beyond it's range (20 degrees)

Tube mill
Tube mill

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 5/7/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Alan, always nice work!

John Bonnett

posted on 5/7/07 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Alan, a great technique. Any angle can be cut exactly and not only does it look good the frame must be stronger and of course, welding is then a doddle.

John

Alan B

posted on 5/7/07 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nitram..Cheers

John....Thanks, yeah the topslide already being marked in degrees makes accuracy a doddle...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Maradona

posted on 1/8/07 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
great excelent technique !!

Thanks for shearing with us

Cheers
maradona

Syd Bridge

posted on 1/8/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
The exact same way I've been doing it for far too long to remember, and my grandad did and taught me.

I use a fixture in the adjustable toolpost, to get the height exactly spot on.

Also, I use an 'end and side' cutter'. Bring the workpiece in so that the end cuts, not the long flutes. It doesn't make those needles so readily. Lots of cutting fluid as well.

Watch out for those little needles when you clear the swarf, they give a nasty bite!

Chyeers,
Syd.

NS Dev

posted on 3/8/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, same here, except I lent my jig to somebody and never got it back so the last wishbones I did were done with a carbide burr in the die grinder instead.

I, as syd said, also use a slot drill (end and side) rather than end mill (side cut) and drive the toolpost towards the chuck rather than across it.

Does the same job though, very nice indeed

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.