Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clarke PE16C50 air compressor
Paul TigerB6

posted on 22/11/07 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Clarke PE16C50 air compressor

Hi all. After some advice on the above compressor. Its a 14CFM displacement compressor with a 3HP belt drive motor and a 50L tank.

I have found one 2nd hand which I can have for £140 (£365 new) but is this 50L tank big enough to spray with given the ample motor?? Was looking at a couple of compressors with similar motors but 100L tanks, but these seem more like £200 on fleabay.

I also want to run a small sand blasting cabinet which should be fine (waiting for the tank to refil isnt so important here and its gonna be smallish items only anyway such as suspension components etc

Thanks
Paul

Volvorsport

posted on 22/11/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
you could always plumb another cylinder on - you sometimes find them at autojumbles with knacked motors .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Paul TigerB6

posted on 22/11/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
you could always plumb another cylinder on - you sometimes find them at autojumbles with knacked motors .

Was wondering what you were talking about there - but figured it out!! Plumb a second tank inline to the first to give the extra capacity to help keep a stable air pressure output.
My spraying will be limited to my Tiger bonnet / nosecone / scuttle etc so have a feeling I should be ok so long as I stick to a smaller gun. I was hoping to use a HVLP gun and these seem to vary hugely on their air consumption.

davie h

posted on 22/11/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
paul

i sprayed my tin top bonnet wings and bumper using the compressor that you can see in the back ground got it and a spray gun from machine mart Rescued attachment DSC00121.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00121.JPG

davie h

posted on 22/11/07 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
and here is the result oh and its still to be rubbed down and polished and i know the match isnt great but the original colour plate was missing so i couldntg get the correct paint code and its a thousand times better than it used to look

[Edited on 22/11/07 by davie h] Rescued attachment DSC00114.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00114.JPG

Paul TigerB6

posted on 22/11/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Nice result Dave. Well I have just emailed the guy about it and should hopefully hear back from him soon. Guess I am just being overly cautious - if you can get that sort of result with what looks like a much smaller (25l??) compressor.

Cheers

davie h

posted on 22/11/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
paul

the compressor is one of the small tiger ones from machine mart i think i paid about £80 for it cant remember which one and i cant get into the garage (wife is away with my car keys and it has the garage key on it) the gun i used was the clarke pro 12c £20 from MM but if you need anymore let me know

cheers Davie

Paul TigerB6

posted on 22/11/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave - thats more than enough info to allay my fears!!
I have the MM catalogue here in front of me and your compressor is the Tiger 8/44 model - 2HP / 25L / 7.8CFM displacement. The one I am looking at is more than up to the job in that case!!

Thanks for the info mate
Paul

omega 24 v6

posted on 22/11/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
HGV Trucks and trailers are a good source for air tanks. Usually they've got a built in drain point as well. Only please go to a scrappy for them and not your local lorry park

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 22/11/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
HGV Trucks and trailers are a good source for air tanks. Usually they've got a built in drain point as well. Only please go to a scrappy for them and not your local lorry park

hehe - well lets just say i've been offered a job by a local company (who my best mate works for) if I get a HGV licence. I have my theory / hazard perception test on Monday so after xmas i might just have access to said tanks!!

Extra incentive!!

dhutch

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Im by no means a pro, but surely if you want continuaous operation without loss of presure, its going to be the motor/pump thats the limiting factor?
- The tank is only to smooth out and buffer the flow, with a decent regulator i cant see why 50l should be enough. Thats not tiny after all.

Daniel

mad-butcher

posted on 24/11/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
power supply was a major issue with mine I had to use the 60amp cooker supply, my neighbours really love me when I'm sand blasting as it needs upwards of 100psi and the 150lt tank takes a caning
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.