Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone done a ZX10R engine in a Westy?
JT71

posted on 28/11/07 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone done a ZX10R engine in a Westy?

Hi,

Help needed please! I need to replace the engine on my ZX9R engined Westy (the gearbox has gone bang). It's a relatively old engine, so I'm not overly keen on spending the best part of a grand rebuilding the gearbox, and fancy a hike in power whilst I'm considering the options. The favourite choice was a 2007 ZX10R engine (50 extra bhp), but the costs are escalating:
New manifold,
Changing the engine mountings,
Maybe increasing the height of the transmission tunnel due to the increased height of the crankshaft (potentially the biggest job)?
Shortened sump - I imagine I'm going to have to get this made?
Usual stuff - fuel line, wiring etc.

I can get the engine for £1500, but I'm struggling to get the additional bits to add up to less than an additional £1500. Okay - it's an extra 50bhp on the old ZX9R but at £3K it's beginning to look pricey.

Has anyone done a ZX10R engine into a Westy (megablade chassis), and perhaps have a list of things that I need to factor into the build cost?? Are there things here I haven't factored in? Do I need to do the transmission tunnel? Anyone know where I can get a shortened sump without having to get one made from scratch?

Help much appreciated!

JT71

zxrlocost

posted on 28/11/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
hi the BEC Owners Club are offering a conversion if you are interested

£2500 drive in drive out

old engine out
fully fitted with new mounts 5PW R1 Fuel injected engine (best engine)
full SS exhaust system
trt prop
new gear change
wired in ready to go
baffle plate

basically your car will be done so it is ready to drive away

give me a call if your interested we are fully booked for work till the new year but Im sure we can sort something

ta chris
07914 888894

[Edited on 28/11/07 by zxrlocost]

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

bigrich

posted on 28/11/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
the prop does sit higher in the tunnel but should fit ok but will probably need mods to the centre brg support mounting.

My sump is currenly stock but if you need to get it modified the are a few users on here who can chop you stock sump without the costs of haveing a new one custom made. (i think chris gamlin mods sumps)

you will need a high presure fuel pump and regulator assy, maybe different instruments if yours are not compatable, power commander if not using a stock type airbox, gear linkage mods,ex manifold oh and not forgetting a big cloth to wipe the stupid grin of your face the first time you drive it with the zx10 motor.

you may also need to consider the diff you have, you really need a 3.38 or less as the engine has a very low primary drive , mine has a 3.21 frelander unit which gives 69 in 1st and over 130 top end. (bottled out at 130 with some left).

the difference in driveability and power over a blade/zx9 is unbelieveable, i know its a lot of cash and work but in my opinion well worth it

just to add the offer from BEC owners is very good value when you add up the costs involved and its a drive in/out job with no dirty hands so well worth considering aswell

Rich
ZX10R BEC owner

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Leckyman

posted on 28/11/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
We recently wired up a zx10r into a Jedi which had your original engine in first, Best advice I can offer on cost-saving is when buying the engine make sure you get all the little bits & pieces the fuel injection system uses (sensors/injectors etc) when you get the engine as buying them piece-meal aftrewards can cost a bomb. as for wiring up we do an ecu harness for £180 that mates to your existing wiring, saves on a complete rewire.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/11/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
My sump is currenly stock but if you need to get it modified the are a few users on here who can chop you stock sump without the costs of haveing a new one custom made. (i think chris gamlin mods sumps)

Not any more unfortunately, it was my uncle, John that actually did them but he's changed jobs now so doesnt have the time / facilities to do them.

JT - I forgot to mention the obvious to Colin last night, but if he needs any advice on chopping the sump, he's got John's number so Colin could probably get it done in house if necessary.

Chris

TimC

posted on 28/11/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
hi the BEC Owners Club are offering a conversion if you are interested

£2500 drive in drive out

old engine out
fully fitted with new mounts 5PW R1 Fuel injected engine (best engine)
full SS exhaust system
trt prop
new gear change
wired in ready to go
baffle plate

basically your car will be done so it is ready to drive away

give me a call if your interested we are fully booked for work till the new year but Im sure we can sort something

ta chris
07914 888894

[Edited on 28/11/07 by zxrlocost]

That's extremely reasonable, Would you sign to commit to that Chris?

zxrlocost

posted on 28/11/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
were doing two cars at the moment

the offer hasnt really been advertised yet so will be ongoing for a while Im sure

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.