Board logo

Indy Floor
Colnago_Man - 5/10/07 at 11:45 AM

I've just attached my floor sheet to the chassis and now I'am wondering if I should have cut out the piece infront of the transmissions tunnel. I'am building a BEC so according to MK the bit can stay in. But now I've flipped over the chassis the front edge of the floor looks like a guillotine!
There is a sharp edge running across the middle of the car, If I ran over someone I could quite easily chop their head off!

Would a simple bit of U-channel across it suffice. Is it okay for SVA as it is? Is there a requirement for radius parts under the car?

Thanks all...

ewan - 5/10/07 at 11:51 AM

If you have a look at www.p4nts.co.uk it has a picture of the floor that Steve did, depending on which engine you are using you might not need to cut the hole out.

Paul TigerB6 - 5/10/07 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Colnago_Man

There is a sharp edge running across the middle of the car, If I ran over someone I could quite easily chop their head off!

Well it would teach them for getting in front of your car. Dont worry about it - the blood will come off with the pressure washer anyway

sorry - couldnt resist.

stevec - 5/10/07 at 12:03 PM

If someone got that far under your car I dont think there would be that much left.
Steve.

BenB - 5/10/07 at 12:16 PM

Oh I don't know, I think there would be lots of bits left

StevieB - 5/10/07 at 12:56 PM

It's fine where it is - I imagine it adds a bit of strength.

If anyone gets run over, the engine sump will do a good enough job of ruining their day before the floorpan does!

matt_claydon - 5/10/07 at 01:11 PM

I think that in terms of vehicle safety it is asumed if you actually end up underneath a car there is not a lot that can be done to help!

I left mine in (CEC) but then a few months down the line found I needed to get at the speedo drive or something so ended up cutting it out with a jigsaw.

[Edited on 5/10/07 by matt_claydon]

iank - 5/10/07 at 01:18 PM

The floor can have razor blades and fishhooks welded to it and should still pass sva according to the rules.