Board logo

Quickshifter on a turbo bike engine
strikerbird - 21/11/14 at 10:23 PM

I'm in the middle of turbo charging my honda blackbird engined striker hillclimb car. I'm unsure about still using my dynojet quick shift as it cuts fuel to allow the shift.
I'm worried cutting the fuel may cause it to run lean, that wouldn't be good!
Has anybody used the quick shift on a turbo bike engine before?
I'd like to keep the shifter it does save time, I need all the help I can get!

chrism - 22/11/14 at 01:17 AM

According to this link you can set it to cut fuel and/or ignition for the quickshifter by reprogramming the power commander. So you could set it to cut ignition instead of fuel and prevent it lean burning, but you would end up with unburnt fuel going into a hot turbo, but I think its only for a fraction of a second anyway.

Nickp - 22/11/14 at 07:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chrism
but you would end up with unburnt fuel going into a hot turbo, but I think its only for a fraction of a second anyway.

As a bonus you might end up with FLAMES!!

strikerbird - 22/11/14 at 08:18 AM

My power commander only runs the injectors so I can't set the shifter to cut ignition. I can't decide if it's safe or not, it cuts the fuel so there's nothing burning at all, so it can't be lean (I think)
Could be expensive if I'm wrong. Could do with finding someone who's used the same setup.

INDY BIRD - 22/11/14 at 08:29 AM

i did it on my zx10 turbo and was iginistion cut out on a flat shifter,

ps i also did a carbed blackbird turbo and it produced 260 at the wheels at 9psi

but being honest not the best engine for reliability to start with,

hope yours goes all ok, when they are on full chat there rapid

and yes i did melt a piston on mine due to fuel issue so you are right to be cautious with fueling cut out etc,

ReMan - 22/11/14 at 11:27 AM

Surely cutting the fuel completely for a few millisecond to shift is different from running lean and melting a piston?
no fuel =no burn at all?

strikerbird - 22/11/14 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Surely cutting the fuel completely for a few millisecond to shift is different from running lean and melting a piston?
no fuel =no burn at all?

That's what I thought but I've been told to use an ignition cut rev limiter because the standard bird ecu cuts fuel.
Bit confused unless the bird ecu does lean the fuel when the rev limit is reached.

strikerbird - 22/11/14 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
i did it on my zx10 turbo and was iginistion cut out on a flat shifter,

ps i also did a carbed blackbird turbo and it produced 260 at the wheels at 9psi

but being honest not the best engine for reliability to start with,

hope yours goes all ok, when they are on full chat there rapid

and yes i did melt a piston on mine due to fuel issue so you are right to be cautious with fueling cut out etc,

I'm looking for around 200hp to be in the safe side. Should be fun. Like you say not the most reliable lump in the first place!

metro6r4 - 22/11/14 at 02:42 PM

don't run the flatshifter if it cuts the fuel as you will wreck your motor, if you use a ignition cut flatshifter your exhaust will spit flames but you won't wreck your engine

Autoflock Motorsport - 26/11/14 at 01:04 PM

may be worth looking into the auto blipper/flatshift kit?

I have the very very old version from klicktronic, the lads there are very very helpful. I would defo recomend giving them a shout and see what they think as they may be able to come up with something and utilise what you have already got. Mine is an ignition cut :-)

dave_424 - 26/11/14 at 01:25 PM

I read that since the fuel cut happens so fast that there isn't a chance for detonation or lean condition. Overrun fuel cut doesn't make your car burn up pistons from going lean or detonate, but that goes in hand with throttle closing so not really the same as full throttle fuel cut.

If you can then obviously ignition cut is better

grazo - 22/4/15 at 12:53 PM

The Flatshifter Expert system can be used to cut the ignition or the fuel the choice is yours.

hobbsy - 22/4/15 at 09:21 PM

As other have said the fuel cut is just that it cuts it pretty much totally or enough for a misfire. So its not the same as running lean. I.e. it is safe

theduck - 22/4/15 at 10:08 PM

I would rather be cutting ignition than fuel in that situation. Unburnt fuel going into the tubro, thats called anti lag isnt it?