Board logo

MOT and Number Plates
Si - 15/2/10 at 09:10 PM

Hmmm... just put a full size plate on the front ready for the first MOT.
Anyone gone to MOT test with a smaller or stick-on plate - what happed/what was said?

If I have to have one on permanently I'd rather have a slightly smaller plate that better suites the car.
Si.

blakep82 - 15/2/10 at 09:12 PM

you could leave the small one on. mot retests are free withing a certain number of days, so if it fails, put the proper size one on for a pass

Hellfire - 15/2/10 at 09:16 PM

We have a slightly smaller front plate fitted on our Indy and it's never been an issue at MOT.

Phil

Chippy - 15/2/10 at 11:04 PM

I have a smaller than standard, plus it's a stick on, see <<< not had any problem at MOT time. Cheers Ray

[Edited on 15-2-10 by Chippy]

donn006 - 15/2/10 at 11:19 PM

hi im a tester it is supposed to have a full size plate but most testers turn a blind eye(not that i have or anything)but if you take your normal plate to the mot with you thin if they aint gona pass it then put your plate on the screen

Mark G - 15/2/10 at 11:37 PM

As a tester I say the letters have to be full size, can be on a cut down plate though. If the letters are slightly smaller, I can imagine that many testers might not notice.

Si - 16/2/10 at 07:25 AM

Cheers, notice full size is measured as 520x112 but will probably get one about 3 quarter size 390x84 after MOT and keep it as a spare for next MOT, just in case.

Si

Bluemoon - 16/2/10 at 09:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
As a tester I say the letters have to be full size, can be on a cut down plate though. If the letters are slightly smaller, I can imagine that many testers might not notice.

Yep that's my reading of it. If you look at the DVLA web site you will find the regs. You could use EU plate with the EU removed to give a smaller area but the correct font etc..

steve m - 16/2/10 at 10:03 AM

My car <<<<<
has a stick on one on the front nose, and is the correct size
all my MOT guy said was the plates must be visable to see, with the correct spacing and size , while standing in front

so not an issue, i do however carry a normal pastic one, that with 2 self tapers will go on the bottom of the nose, if needed

Steve

[Edited on 16/2/10 by steve m]

iscmatt - 16/2/10 at 12:44 PM

I cut my plate down to the minimum size allowed (i.e the numbers are the standard size) and I don't think it looks too bad - see my avatar.

Also to add i used the DVLA website to find out the minimum borders, my reg is 6 figures and so a managed to chop a fair bit off the sides, looks much better! and it is impossible to tell as the corners also are of the correct radius

[Edited on 17/2/10 by iscmatt]

Si - 18/2/10 at 08:58 AM

Great, thanks for your comments.

When the MOT is out the way I'll be sorting out something a bit more asthetically pleasing!!

tul214 - 18/2/10 at 09:03 AM

Si,

u2u on its way