Board logo

Rally Design Hubs on Original Cortina Uprights
mcg - 5/11/10 at 08:06 AM

Just assembled my nice new alloy hubs onto the original cortina (Mk4/5) steel uprights, and the nut fastens on a good 5mm further down the shaft than I would have expected, meaning that the retaining 'crown' and split pin are rendered in effective as the crown can just rattle around. The plan is to use a few washers to fill the space, but just wanted to check that I am not missing anything obvious / important?!?

Cheers

Matt

daviep - 5/11/10 at 09:31 AM

There should be a thick washer between the nut and the bearing is that fitted?

Davie

mcg - 5/11/10 at 01:52 PM

Yer there is - it has a little tab which lines up with the notch on the shaft...

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
There should be a thick washer between the nut and the bearing is that fitted?

Davie

markt0121 - 5/11/10 at 04:46 PM

Does it need a bearing seat fitted to the alloy hubs? Maybe it's a stupid question. I just checked in the haynes cortina workshop manual, but the diagram doesn't show a bearing seat fitted to the hub. I'd be surprised if a bearing seat wasn't needed in an alloy hub.

mcg - 5/11/10 at 11:48 PM

Yer has a bearing seat made of stainless steel i think. Had to do the old hot cold trick to get em into the ally hubs

quote:
Originally posted by markt0121
Does it need a bearing seat fitted to the alloy hubs? Maybe it's a stupid question. I just checked in the haynes cortina workshop manual, but the diagram doesn't show a bearing seat fitted to the hub. I'd be surprised if a bearing seat wasn't needed in an alloy hub.