Board logo

replacmet poly steering disc link for sierra?
baz-R - 29/12/13 at 12:26 PM

ages ago i seen some polyuathane repacement disc's to replace the rubber one in a sierra sterring colum link (lower colum to rack) right at the rack input spline joint

its a round disc about 2 1/2 inch dia with 4 holes in somtimes called a rag joint or flex disc

landrovers have them as well

can anyone point me in the right direction?

dave r - 29/12/13 at 12:59 PM

drilled mine out, rotated one bit 90 degree's and bolted them back together.....

Dusty - 29/12/13 at 01:24 PM

Can't help thinking that such a device has no place in a car, except perhaps in a heater control linkage and certainly not in the steering column.
Take the opportunity to replace with a proper mechanical U.J.

steve m - 29/12/13 at 02:06 PM

Have to agree with Dusty
I junked mine, as it was perished, and cracking, and the thought of it going pop while driving, even though it was caged
was not worth the hassle

so replaced it with a proper metal uj

steve

bob - 29/12/13 at 03:19 PM

As it happens just replaced mine with a UJ .... I think it cost me a few quid from Ebay.

It seems to have improved the steering making it far more positive with no negative feed coming back through the wheel.

Pics in my archive under 2013 steering.

CosKev3 - 31/12/13 at 02:54 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171206056757

just ordered one of these kits, will post back on here once it's arrived

baz-R - 31/12/13 at 05:20 PM

yeah I seen basically the same thing but made from poly bush metrial

RSr - 1/1/14 at 11:26 AM

Like this?

baz-R - 1/1/14 at 12:06 PM

yes just like that

CosKev3 - 1/1/14 at 03:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RSr
Like this?

did the original bush set up have the long joiners that go from one bolt to the other under the nuts/bolt heads?
Mine has on the one I've just stripped, and I'm pretty sure they help with spreading the load on the bush.
something doesn't look quite right on your pic, pretty sure the joiners I'm on about would stop the bolts going on a angle like they are in your pic.

CosKev3 - 2/1/14 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by baz-R
yeah I seen basically the same thing but made from poly bush metrial

mine arrived, it is more like a poly material than rubber
Holes need filing out slightly to get bolts in straight, but apart from that easy to do.

CosKev3 - 4/2/14 at 06:56 PM

Fitted
Didn't like the locking tabs that were supplied in the kit due to the sharpness of them,so put a spot of weld on the nuts instead.