Board logo

Covered trailer for £700!
bitsilly - 21/5/10 at 04:53 PM

Nowt to do with me, but there is a neat hard covered trailer on Pistonheads for £700. I would love it but can't fit it anywhere!
By my reckoning it is big enough to take a Phoenix with a roll cage so it should be big enough for quite a few of the cars on here?
But please check!
http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1658913.htm

jeffw - 21/5/10 at 06:06 PM

I did look at that but I always wonder how you tie the car down in enclosed trailer like that....anyone know ?

bitsilly - 21/5/10 at 07:11 PM

I bought my ex-750 phoenix with a single tie down/tow point at the front, the old owner said that was the front attachment point!
So you only need one point at the front (The electric winch) and one at the back!
This of course is against everything that I had previously been told, that you should only strop down the wheels/unsprung bits!
But that was for a heavy off road safari special, I guess the strops can contain a lightweight?
Alternatively, cut doors in the side?

MakeEverything - 21/5/10 at 08:36 PM

Ive often thought about when mine is finished, and getting a trailer that fits a single garage.
If i were to go away with the kit car in the trailer, wouldnt it be a good idea to have a window in the side, and lightly insulated walls to make it into a "Caravan" of sorts?

Thats my plan for the future at least...

Dangle_kt - 21/5/10 at 09:46 PM

hammock and your laughing.

ginger ninja - 22/5/10 at 06:41 AM

We've just nearly finished our version - the tie down and off-loading issue was a concern, so we decided to fabricate a 1"tubular steel frame which covers 90% of the car but stops short of extending all the way to the trailer bed, leaving the wheels sufficiently exposed to allow them to be secured with tie downs. The cover is being clad as we speak by a local company with UV resistant 630gsm PVC. We shaped the cover to follow the profile of the car to improve aerodynamics ( and cost !) which meant we had to pivot the cover at the hitch and lift it to access the car. Going to attach gas rams from a car tailgate to hold it up when we get it back from the tarpaulin/tent machinists.

Anyone at Cadwell on the 7th July - be good to meet some of you, see you there ? (look for the "mongrel"