Board logo

powder coating kit
rayward - 12/8/08 at 04:08 PM

linky

thegasmen - 12/8/08 at 04:20 PM

I saw this at the peterborough show and was tempted myself looks a nice peice of kit.

regards mick

marco - 12/8/08 at 04:44 PM

A domestic oven is a bit restrictive though unless you've access to a kiln...

BenB - 12/8/08 at 04:53 PM

Apparantly a heat gun works quite well.....

Didn't someone on here make a kiln out of a washing machine??? Or am I imagining things again!!

MikeRJ - 12/8/08 at 04:58 PM

You can use a hot air gun as well. That is a good price, they were flogging them more than that at Stoneleigh IIRC, and that was a show special price. That said postage is fairly steep, though it's quite a heavy bit of kit.

RK - 12/8/08 at 05:02 PM

It's the heating after the coating that's the problem. Decide how to do that (heat guns don't work!) before you get it. I've got one you can have if you want to come to Canada to get it...

StevieB - 12/8/08 at 05:13 PM

There's simply no substitute for a good quality powder coating service - the guy I use blast everything, zinc coats and then powders to a very high standard. £10 for a pair of wing stays on a 24 hour turnaround.

He's also the Z Cars powder coater of choice.

ceebmoj - 12/8/08 at 05:14 PM

hi,

Has any body had a best offer acepted?

RichardK - 12/8/08 at 05:21 PM

StevieB, have you your powdercoaters details, sounds like a good chap to know. Cheers Rich

Kit seems good value to me as the buy it now has free delivery

[Edited on 12/8/08 by RichardK]

caber - 12/8/08 at 06:35 PM

I bought one at Stonleigh but haven't used it yet! My first project is a Velosolex frame in bits, I am waiting for a promised oven to cook the bits!

Caber

StevieB - 12/8/08 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
StevieB, have you your powdercoaters details, sounds like a good chap to know. Cheers Rich

Kit seems good value to me as the buy it now has free delivery

[Edited on 12/8/08 by RichardK]

Sure - he's down inYell.com as A&M Beevers and Sons but answers the phone as Powder and Paint (confusing). Tel 01759 318998.

Best to ring before you go and tell him what you want doing and what colour as he likes to run batches (hence why I was lucky and got my brackets next day).

He also did my sierra wheels a nice matt black for £30 a pop inc. VAT

rayward - 12/8/08 at 07:15 PM

its free postage at the buy it now price, but you need to add £5 fro postal insurance so £74.95 delivered

hth

Ray

Paul TigerB6 - 12/8/08 at 08:29 PM

I'm quite suspicious of the advert myself to be honest. Seems remarkably cheap so I checked the Electrostatic Magic website and the website is still operating and offering the item at £109 + del.

I use a 2kW IR patio heater myself with my kit. Doubles up to warm the garage in the winter too!!

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 12/8/08 by Paul TigerB6]

mcerd1 - 13/8/08 at 07:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by caber
I bought one at Stonleigh but haven't used it yet! My first project is a Velosolex frame in bits, I am waiting for a promised oven to cook the bits!

Caber

have you had that thing running yet ?

btw - if you give up on the DIY coating there is always Mark Russel @ East Fortune, he's done a first class job on all my bits

Jason Fletcher - 13/8/08 at 10:24 AM

I also bought one at stoneleigh. It really does work very well indeed! I have produced pro standard powdercoating at home just using the kitchen at home. It's really simple and does not require any skill at all.

To date ive powder coated 2 x engine mounts, 2 x gear cable supports, a red top battery case some inner panels (just fitted in the oven) spedo sender bracket, oil catch tank bracket, header tank bracket and all the stuff Ive forgot about.

The real advantage with getting one of these kits is no waiting two days for the Hammerite to go hard. You can make say a bracket for a header tank like I did and within 15 mins its coated and can be bolted on. Just so quick and easy.

Jason

FazerBob - 20/8/08 at 06:47 PM

stay away from the guy on EBay, I am still trying to sort out the bag of broken parts he sent me.

MikeRJ - 22/8/08 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Fletcher
I also bought one at stoneleigh. It really does work very well indeed! I have produced pro standard powdercoating at home just using the kitchen at home. It's really simple and does not require any skill at all.

What do you use to bake the powder on?

quote:
Originally posted by RK
(heat guns don't work!)

IME a hot air gun works very well on small parts such as brackets etc. It's not up to the job of larger parts however.

Jason Fletcher - 22/8/08 at 11:57 AM

The first few items I did in the oven at home but I then went down the local tip and bought one for 15 quid to keep the dorris happy..

J