Board logo

Improve your welding
rsk289locost - 25/9/06 at 07:13 PM

I was getting a bit hacked off with not being able to lay a clean bead with my mini MIG. Tried everything to improve the situation and in despair removed the extension lead and plugged it directly into the socket. Result! How many of you guys are using extension leads?

nitram38 - 25/9/06 at 07:21 PM

Just buy a thicker lead and keep it as short as possible. Your one is probably too small and in a coil?
That is where your problems lie.

David Jenkins - 25/9/06 at 07:51 PM

You're right - you can lose a lot of volts in a long and thin extension lead!

I needed an extension lead for my welder, so I bought sufficient very heavy gauge cable and a decent rubber socket and made up a lead.

David

Danozeman - 25/9/06 at 08:31 PM

Extensions leads make hell of a difference. Get a heavy duty one and youl be fine...

zetec7 - 25/9/06 at 10:42 PM

I also discovered that it helps a lot to use a single circuit for the welder - once I unplugged my light from the welder's circuit, it started welding a lot better!! (I didn't have a circuit inside my tiny garage to use as a dedicated one, but I finally realised that the circuit for the outside lights was suitable. Once I'm ready to weld, I turn off the outside lights. I use a short, HEAVY extension cord...

Dale - 25/9/06 at 11:03 PM

I found the same thing and built a heavy duty cord with 2 14 or 12 awg wires for each line of the three. It made a huge difference in the work.
Dale