Board logo

Tube Bender
Howlor - 12/2/07 at 10:10 PM

Evening all!

I am starting a new project and require a tube bender to bend 32mm and possibly 50mm tube.

How successful are the jack style ones you see on ebay?

Does anyone have one I could try first in the Yorks area at all?

Many thanks,
Steve

jambojeef - 12/2/07 at 10:27 PM

No good in my opinion!

If you're after nice constant radius bends in thinish walled tube for exhaust - Ive found them hopeless every time with a Machine Mart hydraulic bender!

THicker walled stuff is better but not too thick or it wont work at all - me and Liam tried to do some 50mm dia. 3mm wall CDS and it wouldnt touch it until the very last minute where it kinked it massively - see my photo archive.

That was a bit pessimistic wasnt it?!

Maybe you'll have more success!

mark chandler - 12/2/07 at 10:44 PM

Okay for scaffold pole, any thinner and the tube will kink.

Mind you I have never tried filling thin tube with sand.

Regards Mark

marc n - 12/2/07 at 11:16 PM

hi steve
dont bother wasting your money unless you are bending 3mm wall upwards it will crease like hell, you need to find a draw bender or a like the only thing is with no mandrel you are looking at bending round a big radius if you are on 1.5mm wall or less

best regards

marc

zetec7 - 13/2/07 at 05:48 AM

We tried all sorts of ideas, but none worked. We finally went to a repair shop out at the airport & found someone there with the appropriate bender for 50mm tube. It turned out perfect, and didn't cost much...

John Bonnett - 13/2/07 at 09:36 AM

For one off jobs it is very often more cost effective to hire. This is what I did to bend up the roll cage for the trials car. £600 to buy but £40.00 for the weekend.

John

Johnmor - 13/2/07 at 11:05 AM

I have a hydraulic Pipe bende, no use for tube or anything wiht less than 3mm wall.

I was considering buying this form the US.

Its about $900 bucks ,but it seems to be the Dogs boll@*ks

Minicooper - 13/2/07 at 12:01 PM

I imported one of these works perfectly, the carriage and import taxes double the price though

Cheers
David

pk - 13/2/07 at 01:05 PM

What dies did you buy - I'm interested in the logic for tube size and bend rad selection?

Minicooper - 13/2/07 at 01:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pk
What dies did you buy - I'm interested in the logic for tube size and bend rad selection?

I bought 30mm, 1 inch and 1.5 inch, the clr is about 4 inch on the smaller dies and 5 inch on the 1.5 inch

ruudbeckers - 13/2/07 at 05:46 PM

Perhaps you can make your own bender. Have a look at :

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/To...bingbender.htm

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/tu...be-bender.html

You only need to buy the dies. Unfortunately they are quite expensive :-(

Or buy a complete bender at:

http://www.pro-tools.com/200.htm

nick baker - 14/2/07 at 08:04 PM

So glad i saw this thread: I was about to shell out for a cheapo hydraulic tube bender.

Maybe time to make a better one instead.

Incedentally.. I love the way that the $900 one pictured has "Percision" parts...

timf - 15/2/07 at 10:51 AM

a nice home made item plans here

some one on there has mode some dies for birch ply and have managed to do a very good job

Peteff - 15/2/07 at 12:15 PM

I have a few of these sites in my favourites and there are some who have made dies from hardwood with metal plate bolted either side and had good results with them.

liam.mccaffrey - 15/2/07 at 06:45 PM

do you think that would be sufficient for thinwall stainless tube eg 1.4mm?

Minicooper - 15/2/07 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
do you think that would be sufficient for thinwall stainless tube eg 1.4mm?

Depends on how tight the radius is and what size the tube, I have no problem bending 30mm o/d 1.6mm tube at the clr of 4 inches

I have one of these
http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm

Cheers
David

[Edited on 15/2/07 by Minicooper]

liam.mccaffrey - 15/2/07 at 10:19 PM

sorry i meant would the plywood sandwiched between steel plate be sufficient for 1.4mm stainless or mild

ruudbeckers - 18/2/07 at 11:17 AM

I was also thinking of making my own dies. I need some dies for a 1-7/8 inch tube. And when I look at a tube of 2 inch with a wall thickniss of 1.6 mm, the 1-7/8 inch pipe would almost fit right into it. So when I buy a U bend of 2 inch and would cut it in the middle over the entire lenght, I would have the correct shape for my die. Now I only would have to weld some extra steel plates in the middel for strengt and my die would be ready.

So what do you think, will this work??

liam.mccaffrey - 18/2/07 at 07:49 PM

i had similar ideas with making dies

timf - 19/2/07 at 08:38 AM

you could always make a laminated steel die by having a series of thin steel plates cut to the correct size and then sandwiched together all you have to do then is to find a high pressure filler material to shape the contour of the die

blakep82 - 19/2/07 at 09:52 PM

got a machine mart one, worked for me!
I used a pipe spring inside the pipe and it didn't kink at all. sand it another option

NS Dev - 26/2/07 at 01:29 PM

Well....................

tube bender
tube bender

+

tube anneal
tube anneal

=

main hoop
main hoop

main hoop 2
main hoop 2

That's 45 x 2.5mm CDS, and a 15 tonne hydraulic bender used carefully, after annealing the normalised CDS tubing.

12a RX-7 - 2/3/07 at 09:27 PM

here's another option www.jd2.com I bought one from a UK supplier (yet to be delivered) rather than take the hit of tax and shipping.

blakep82 - 6/3/07 at 09:17 PM

not the best picture, but the top wishbones were done with the clarke 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender, in 1" tube with a pipe spring inside Rescued attachment DSC00344.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00344.JPG

blakep82 - 6/3/07 at 09:19 PM

sorry, the pic is huge, and now i can see a possible weakness in them