Board logo

Welder Repair?
speedyxjs - 24/1/08 at 07:36 AM

My mig welder, a clarke 151te, has a gas leak (1 bottle lasts 30 mins max ) and now wont allow the wire to feed through.
It is only 7 months old but i dont know if it is something i have done or if it is a fault with the machine (probably the former )
Can you get people out to repair welders and if so roughly how much? I would prefer not to have to pay out £230 odd quid for a new one if i can help it

[Edited on 24-1-08 by speedyxjs]

jabs - 24/1/08 at 07:55 AM

7 months, isn't it still under warranty

speedyxjs - 24/1/08 at 07:56 AM

Might be but i cant remember what i did with the receipt (safe place)

Mark Allanson - 24/1/08 at 08:01 AM

These machines are not very complicated, faults are usually simple to trace and rectify. If you can build a car you can fix a mig

speedyxjs - 24/1/08 at 08:02 AM

I had a look but cant work it out

caber - 24/1/08 at 08:25 AM

Go back to where you bought it they should deal with a warranty claim or you reciept or not. If not try contacting Clarke directly they should also be willing to help and can date machine from serial number.

Good Luck

Caber

r1_pete - 24/1/08 at 08:36 AM

Contact the supplier 1st, but wire feed problem and undetectable gas leak, sounds like you have kinked the torch lead, splitting the gas feed pipe and crushing the wire feed tube.

ditchlewis - 24/1/08 at 09:05 AM

a new feed tube is only a couple of quid and easy to replace.

i had problems well out side the year and so thought i'll lose nothing so i took it apart and they are so simple.

replaced the parts that were faulty and then put it back together.

ditch

speedyxjs - 24/1/08 at 09:32 AM

I had a go last night at undoing the box that the wire is fed into from the reel but the screws were just turning and not undoing.
The wire will only go into the box about an inch so it cant be the torch lead

onzarob - 24/1/08 at 09:35 AM

This may help

How to change wire feed

turbodisplay - 24/1/08 at 10:02 AM

4mm nylon tube is used for gas feed.
Once changed one on my welder, easy enough, took a short time to feed into the sheath.

Where did you buy it from? If you paid via credit card take the statement as a proof of purchase.

Darren

indykid - 24/1/08 at 10:46 AM

if it's machine mart, they'll surely be able to trace the sale because they take your name for the invoice.

as to whether they keep records............
tom

Taz Surfleet - 24/1/08 at 01:01 PM

Machine Mart hold all the transactions you make with them by your postcode, so there shouldnt be any problem. Get them to tell you how much youve spent over the yrs I needed a chair !!

mad-butcher - 25/1/08 at 01:04 AM

have a look on the mig-welding.co.uk forum it's a mine of information, if you need parts contact weldequip
Tony

speedyxjs - 25/1/08 at 07:45 AM

Cheers guys. It was machine mart apid via debit card. Il phone them later and see what they say.