Board logo

contract phone to pay as you go ??
steve m - 22/3/12 at 01:04 AM

Im about to bring myself into the 21 century and get possibly an I phone, on my o2 contract

can my old contract nokia phone use a pay as you go sim card? as we want a spare phone to throw in the caravan, as a back up , and dont really want a contract agreement

Steve

UncleFista - 22/3/12 at 02:38 AM

Yes, just bung a pay as you go SIM in it.
Most PAYG phones are locked to a network when you buy them, so if it had a Vodaphone SIM in it, it would only work with Vodaphone unless you unlocked it.
Contract phones are usually unlocked to any network.

Ivan - 22/3/12 at 05:13 AM

Must say for once South Africa is ahead of the UK - providers may not lock phones to a network here.

KitCatE1 - 22/3/12 at 11:45 AM

If your old phone was on o2 you can unlock it on their website I just unlocked my 4s through it took about 72 hours.... https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qi d=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/3/12 at 03:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Must say for once South Africa is ahead of the UK - providers may not lock phones to a network here.

Aye and you send imie
blacklisted phones from here and they work perfectly on SA networks

britishtrident - 22/3/12 at 04:35 PM

Cost of unlocking varies greatly between phone make and model some phones are free to unlock others up to £30.

For a spare occasional PAYG phone Orange are a pretty good deal --- but I wouldn't touch an Orange contract.

JoelP - 17/10/13 at 06:50 AM

Reported for spamming.

Minicooper - 17/10/13 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Reported for spamming.

This isn't spaming, it's a targeted reply to a phone question

[Edited on 17/10/13 by Minicooper]