Board logo

Norton 360
Ian Pearson - 21/7/08 at 03:53 PM

Hi All,

My Dad has just been out and bought a new tower from PC World. They've sold him Norton 360, saying it's no longer memory hungry, and that he won't know it's running. Claim it's streets ahead of Kaspersky which I had told him to mention. Have any of you tried 360, and what's your opinion if you have?

Many thanks,

Ian.

nib1980 - 21/7/08 at 03:57 PM

I have it, no problem at all, nice and simple

bimbleuk - 21/7/08 at 04:18 PM

Up until now all I've ever done with Norton products is uninstall them from pre-built bundles. Finally though it does look like they have a product worth condiering.

Norton 360 review

graememk - 21/7/08 at 04:38 PM

omho

as good as navigating around a magnet factory with a compass

blakep82 - 21/7/08 at 05:17 PM

sloooooooow as far as i've found... but then again, it was installed onto a PC which was slower than it should have been anyway, and it slowed down, but then it was already really slow, so maybe its not the problem?

geoff shep - 21/7/08 at 06:50 PM

I went to Norton 360 having used Norton IS previously and didn't like it at all. I found it too invasive, wanting to have lots of stuff turned on - eg auto updates and scans etc. Happy with it reminding me but if I select something turned off I would rather it would accept it and not keep flagging up that I had some important decluttering chore outstanding. I got rid of it and now use Kaspersky which seems fine and doesn't slow the PC down.

Davey D - 21/7/08 at 06:55 PM

Complete waste of money - you can get everything you need for free off the internet

britishtrident - 22/7/08 at 03:44 PM

Trouble with Norton AV products is they slow the system down more and more as time goes on.

Avira http://www.free-av.com/

Main difference between free version and pay version is in with the free version is very slow to download updates because the server is bandwidth capped.

britishtrident - 22/7/08 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Pearson
Hi All,

My Dad has just been out and bought a new tower from PC World. They've sold him Norton 360, saying it's no longer memory hungry, and that he won't know it's running. Claim it's streets ahead of Kaspersky which I had told him to mention. Have any of you tried 360, and what's your opinion if you have?

Many thanks,

Ian.

And 6 months back they would have sold him the previous version of Norton and told him it was the greatest thing since sliced bread ---- in other words trust them not. Using any Symantec (Norton) product has been compared to pouring virutal concrete in your computer.

Some Norton 360 Quotes found on the Web

--------------------------------------

Norton 360 Version 2.0: What's New and Improved?

* Industry-Leading RAM sucker. Now 2GB ram is a micro toy for it!
* Slow down ur pc more perfectly.
* Require more disk space unnecessary.

---------------------------------------------

JesterPosted: 11/01/2008

re: My Norton experiences
Why would anyone in their sane and logical mind pay for a product that is close to sadness and causes so much despair, pain and frustration? Toilet paper is a much better buy than this absolute ...

------------------------------

If anyone buys this product they are just tossing $80 bucks in the can... you can find all the products with better structural integrity for free. I installed norton 360 when it first came out and quickly uninstalled after so many damn issues and guess what it still appears in my installed programs and I can even the delete the file no the entry no matter what uninstaller removal utility or method I use, down with symentac
-----------------------------------------------

Absolutely, hands down the WORST internet security software available. I have had to uninstall the program on at least ten occasions because of errors with the software. I thought that maybe a virus was creating problems with it, but after I got a second opinion with Kaspersky, I found out that Norton is just a very very poor product. Too many bugs. Creates more problems than it solves. Whatever you do, DONT waste 80 bucks on this garbage!!! What a shame to see Norton go down the drain. I have used Norton since Windows 95, I can't believe Norton products have degraded so much.

------------------------------------------------------

It has all been said in previous posts. This is the worst of the worst. An $80 headache. Symantec should be ashamed of this product and the price they have charged for a program that should have never left beta testing....Booo Symantec!!!! I will they NEVER buy anything from them again, Furthermore, I will make every effort to educate people on what a FRAUD Symantec had become...

----------------------------------------------------------

The absolute worst anti-virus I have ever had... Had numerous problems that even the so called Senior Technician couldn't fix and also screwed up my internet and my install file. Will never uy a "new" norton product ever again!! Problem after problem after problem in the end im going to anything bar norton, AVG free will do until i find the right one (that works)

---------------------------------

On the Norton 360 website: "Norton 360 is rewritten from scratch with a new code"

My review: Statutory warning, the new code also contains large quantities of bloat, crippleware, elephant fat, cow dung, vegetable oil & anasthesia (which works only on humans while installation & uninstallation)
Use it solely if you like the above.

[Edited on 22/7/08 by britishtrident]