Board logo

Vista Service Pack 1
Macbeast - 21/7/08 at 08:12 PM

My Windows update wants me to download Vista Service Pack 1. Is this genuine ? Are there any bugs ?

It says the download may take hours

When they issued Service Pack 2 for XP, the computer magazines gave away CD updates. Is this likely to happen again so I can avoid the download ?

In theory, I could leave it to download overnight but inevitably five minutes after I go to bed they will pop up a little window saying " Windows needs to know your inside leg measurement in order to proceed "

miikae - 21/7/08 at 08:32 PM

Rightly or wrongly i installed Vista SP1 on Saturday and all seems ok at the moe on my Laptop , but time may tell , fingers crossed here . My comp is set for auto downloads so i dont know how long it took as it only told me when it wanted to install it .

Mike

[Edited on 21/7/08 by miikae]

omega0684 - 21/7/08 at 09:29 PM

sorry to say that when i downloaded it it crashed my computer, it downloaded alright but when i went to restart my computer it came up with a message saying that it was installing update and stuck on that screen for about 2 hrs. it then restarted itself again and said that the service pack had not installed correctly and it was resetting back to the previous settings -> which took another 2 hours!

austin man - 21/7/08 at 09:47 PM

does anyone know ehre the codecs can be found fro media player in vista ??

McLannahan - 21/7/08 at 10:03 PM

Austin - What codecs do you need?

This application will install nearly everything under the sun and even allows Media Player to play flash movies!

It's freeware.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I'm Vista'd up and use these codecs on all my Vista PC's with no issues!

omega0684 - 21/7/08 at 10:17 PM

im after the latest windows media codec's for vista as well, how do i know which on to download and where about is it on the site

McLannahan - 21/7/08 at 10:23 PM

Vauxhall Omega - Any of the full version links are fine.

This seems quite quick on my connection..

Click me to download the full codecs

omega0684 - 21/7/08 at 10:27 PM

cheers fella, had me with the vauxhall joke there for a second

i jsut ran a free test to scan my windows media player files and it came back with 860 problems

[Edited on 21/7/08 by omega0684]

Macbeast - 22/7/08 at 09:56 PM

Downloaded and installed.

Computer seems to work OK

Fingers crossed

[Edited on 22/7/08 by Macbeast]