Board logo

dead laptop
eddbaz - 27/7/08 at 05:13 PM

My gateway laptop was working fine from the battery,but when the battery discharged it wouldn't power up from the power lead,i've tried a new power lead but still dead,I ran a local repairer who seamed to think it was the power lead input socket and quoted my 120 pounds, the socket isn't loose.
Can anyone tell me if was he is saying is correct and is the price quoted about right and is there anything else I can do or try myself.
Thanks
Ed.

McLannahan - 27/7/08 at 05:35 PM

To be quite honest Gateway is an older brand now and I'd not spend anything over £50 repairing it. You could easily take the hard drive out and mount it into a caddy (about £10 or less from Ebay/EBuyer etc..) and retrieve all your data.

Not that I recommend buying from PC World but they'll do a laptop for £300 that's only £180 more than you're prepared to spend to repair an old one.

If budget is tight I'd recommend Sterling XS. Company in Guildford that deals in older and cheaper laptops and PC's.

Sterling XS

The second laptop down is only £130

The Gateway will be repairable - It's just weighing up the time required and the expense too. Sadly I think the age of the machine will financially write it off!

I've got a handful of older machines next week anyway if you don't get anywhere?

Cheers

joneh - 27/7/08 at 06:25 PM

Personally I'd crack out the multi meter and soldering iron!

graememk - 27/7/08 at 09:52 PM

christ whos your local repair shop in peterborough, i'm in holbeach 20 mins away and i only charge £65 for a socket, but do locost builders rates too.