Board logo

Firefox 3 - Yes or No?
smart51 - 26/8/08 at 08:14 PM

What do we think about firefox 3? I've heard there's a few problems with it. What are they?

Pdlewis - 26/8/08 at 08:17 PM

Its brilliant, Can render this site though which is a shame but install the ie tab plug in and you away

Paul TigerB6 - 26/8/08 at 08:17 PM

It seemed slow on my computer so i removed it. Try searching for posts by Hellfire on it - think he had real problems with it

ravingfool - 26/8/08 at 08:28 PM

Nah, it's fantastic, been with firefox for the last 4 years and never had a problem, FF3 is just more of the same. Really like the intelligent address bar which offers you suggestions from your history and favourites even when you've typed the address wrong.

One of the best things is the wide range of plug ins. Cooliris previews and piclens really top the software off. (actually the thing I use most is the dictionary/spell checker plug in, which is a fantastic addition that I can't live without!)

Pezza - 26/8/08 at 08:28 PM

Works fine for me with everything I used before, been using it since release

Paul TigerB6 - 26/8/08 at 08:31 PM

i'll try it again now then. I have done a bit of maintainance on my lappy since so hopefully it'll work better now. Will report back

martyn_16v - 26/8/08 at 09:08 PM

I've put it on all of the machines at work, but have held off upgrading my machine because of how it renders this site. Not had any problems with it so far though.

David Jenkins - 26/8/08 at 09:16 PM

Version 3 had a funny moment for some people when it first appeared, but a subsequent minor upgrade (3.0.1) fixed it.

The issue with rendering this site is a Mozilla-wide one, not just Firefox. My Linux box has 2 other Mozilla-based browsers (Galleon and Epiphany) and they suffer with the same problem.

caber - 26/8/08 at 09:50 PM

Excellent on Mac and Linux, chuck Windows keep Firefox!

Caber

Hellfire - 26/8/08 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
It seemed slow on my computer so i removed it. Try searching for posts by Hellfire on it - think he had real problems with it

Hi Paul - the FF3 installation was easy. The problem I had was a virus/trojan was taking up all of my band width, it disabled the google search bar and disallowed access to google. Effectively stopping me getting information on how to remove it...

Following the virus removal it's been fine. Apart from on here (LB) as the table format is interpreted differentlky in the individual browsers. LB seemes to be written in specific table widths which FF3 doesn't like but IE7 does.

I recommend FF3 wholeheartedly.... Steve

ceebmoj - 27/8/08 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ravingfool
Nah, it's fantastic, been with firefox for the last 4 years and never had a problem, FF3 is just more of the same. Really like the intelligent address bar which offers you suggestions from your history and favourites even when you've typed the address wrong.

One of the best things is the wide range of plug ins. Cooliris previews and piclens really top the software off. (actually the thing I use most is the dictionary/spell checker plug in, which is a fantastic addition that I can't live without!)

just tried the two plug ins you recommend and they are great does anyone else have any other recommendations? im using fire gestures and tab scope

BenTyreman - 27/8/08 at 09:06 AM

Install Stylish.

Use this rule:

code:

@-moz-document domain(www.locostbuilders.co.uk) {
body>table>tbody>tr>td { width: 100% !important; }
}

No more width problems.

MikeRJ - 27/8/08 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
just tried the two plug ins you recommend and they are great does anyone else have any other recommendations? im using fire gestures and tab scope

DownThemAll is a superb download manager, and I personaly like ForecastFox (weather forecast in status bar).

If you use Ebay then Firefox Companion for Ebay is good, but unfortunately is broken under FF 3.01. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

David Jenkins - 27/8/08 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenTyreman
Install Stylish.

Use this rule:

code:

@-moz-document domain(www.locostbuilders.co.uk) {
body>table>tbody>tr>td { width: 100% !important; }
}

No more width problems.

Good call!!

Worked straight after installation and rule-writing. Nice to see the site at full width again.

David Jenkins - 27/8/08 at 06:33 PM

'Adblock Plus' and NoScript are my 2 favourites. The first allows you to block annoying ads and pictures (e.g. the dodgy ones on this forum ) and the other blocks hidden scripts from being run without your permission.

NoScript needs a little training after it's first installed - you have to give permissions to sites to run scripts - but after that it's very useful for blocking dodgy code - especially so for Windoze boxes.

D Beddows - 29/8/08 at 11:01 PM

I'm going to say no - my home computer which is admittedly a bit old school with a single core Pentium 4 3GHz processor and 2 gig of ram (which is actually just as quick as my all singing all dancing dual core work computer as a CAD station - but that's a different story ) keeps doing the blue screen thing with Firefox 3 tbh an awful lot of my favorite plug-ins don't seem to be supported in firefox 3 either so I can't say I'm that bothered about having just uninstalled it!

Werner Van Loock - 7/10/08 at 11:48 AM

Works a treat,

just had a new laptop and installed ff3 and had the problem with the site hugging the left side of the screen.