Board logo

Windscreen hood fittings?
zetec - 28/3/09 at 08:46 AM

I'm looking to make flintstone style emergency hood. The easy option for fitting to the screen is using press studs but I would prefer not to. I'm looking for some form of channel to snugly fit over the top of the windscreen surround to which I attach the material. I did find some ali channel in B+Q but it is far too hard to bend to shape. If I cant find anything else I might use this for just the straight centre section with studs on the end. Any ideas anyone?? I suspect ali is still the best option but will need a type thats easier to bent. The inside opening needs to be about 18mm.

bob - 28/3/09 at 08:52 AM

Hello kevin

Maybe the channel used on touring caravans for awning fitment could be the way,i have already got tenax studs screwed into the westfield screen i have fitted so i'll have a go with that.

I am hoping to pick up suitable material at stoneleigh this year as i cant make Detling.

For more info on the flintstone roof have a look at surrey daves website.

bob - 28/3/09 at 08:56 AM

Daves web link.

linky

iscmatt - 28/3/09 at 09:07 AM

I bought the full weather kit from mk. They use a channel like you are describing and its made of fiberglass, very snug and tight fit. Maybe give them a ring and see if they can get one for you from the people that supply the hoods to them?

triumphdave - 28/3/09 at 09:09 AM

Thats how Dax fit theres to the rush,they might be able to help

kelloggs - 28/3/09 at 09:35 AM

I used caravan awning rail have a look in my photo archive at new top All parts ordered from POINT NORTH

Surrey Dave - 28/3/09 at 12:47 PM

Dutton Phaeton's , Melos etc had a channel integral to the screen frame and a piece of something like 3mm x 12mm flat sewn into front edge of hood , so you you tucked it up and fold ed the hood back over simple but very weatherproof.

I dont know about caterham's but my arrangement is good for emergency but , a fair amount can get up under the hood and over the screen.

mad4x4 - 28/3/09 at 12:52 PM

Do as the suzuki Jeeps do - have the open part of the channel facing forward and then the edge of the hood locks in by pulling back on it self

Surrey Dave - 28/3/09 at 01:01 PM

Rescued attachment duttonhood.jpg
Rescued attachment duttonhood.jpg

Surrey Dave - 28/3/09 at 01:08 PM

Rescued attachment hood2.jpg
Rescued attachment hood2.jpg

iscmatt - 28/3/09 at 03:45 PM

The reason i mention the MK one is you have an mk, is it an mk screen? if s it would be a straight on affair

This photo shows the bar over the top of the windscreen quite clearly

This one shows it from the outside, very neat and tidy

zetec - 28/3/09 at 04:28 PM

Thanks chaps, knew you would come up trumps, I'll have a call round Monday.