Board logo

speedo sensor pick up
Stuart_B - 22/5/09 at 12:41 PM

hi all, can i mount a speedo sensor on the one of the front wheels?

it is undriven wheel, but i have passed sva all ready so now worries about that?

but i was wondering promblems off when turning one wheel soins quicker than the other, so it would make no differnace if i put it on the rear wheel than the front?

your throught please?

thanks

stuart

prawnabie - 22/5/09 at 12:49 PM

As long as you have passed sva/iva and it reads more or less the right speed then I can't see a problem. Alot of modern cars read the speed off one of the wheel bearings anyway.

Shaun

BenB - 22/5/09 at 02:11 PM

Fundamentally not a major problem post SVA!!! One advantage of having the speedo on a non-driven wheel is you won't get MPH blips due to wheel spin....

Stuart_B - 22/5/09 at 03:14 PM

thanks i will keep to the orginal plan then.

stuart

Xtreme Kermit - 22/5/09 at 05:51 PM

I took a different approach and bought a converter from the type 9 speedo output to a threaded output and mounted the transducer on that.

No worries of magnets flying off...

prawnabie - 22/5/09 at 06:39 PM

If you are running cortina uprights, the bolt heads that hold the disc to the hub pass a "hole" in the upright. Im sure you can get a sensor that reads "metal" instead or "magnet" and do it that way?

jeffw - 22/5/09 at 09:47 PM

I tried to moment a magnet on the front wheel and the pickup on the upright. Worked fine until you turned the wheel and the speedo stopped working. Ended up mounting it on the rear axle/wheel;

Stuart_B - 23/5/09 at 07:55 AM

ah, i just worked out my speedo as well will be ok will doing straight, but wont work while truning.lol

change of plan time.lol

stuart

prawnabie - 23/5/09 at 11:40 AM

I might be dumb here, but why wouldn't it work?

Surley the upright and the disc/hub are the same distance away regardless of whether you are turning or not?

There may be a bit of flex, but not enough to cause problems else we would be changing wheel bearings every month lol.

Shaun

Stuart_B - 23/5/09 at 03:39 PM

the way i was going to make the bracket was, to be held on the wishbone bolt which hold teh bottom balljoint on, so that part does not move the sensor would not trun, so i might look at mounting to the hub or teh rear drums some how.

i am running sierra uprights.

thanks

stuart

triumphdave - 23/5/09 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
If you are running cortina uprights, the bolt heads that hold the disc to the hub pass a "hole" in the upright. Im sure you can get a sensor that reads "metal" instead or "magnet" and do it that way?

This is what I have done