Board logo

Glow Plug Lamp
donny - 21/12/10 at 09:11 AM

Hi Folks,
I've been through the archives but can't find an answer. Our tintop is a Renault Scenic with a 1.9TDi engine. It starts and runs fine. However after around 20 mins the glow plug lamp comes on. It stays on for around 5 minutes or so then goes off. This happens randomly through a journey and does not seem to affect the car. We have a 4.5 hour journey to Sheffield this week so I'm keen to find out if I should be worried about anything. I put it down to the very cold weather.

Has anyone had this problem or can they shed some light on it?

Thanks in advance,
Donny.

MikeRJ - 21/12/10 at 09:13 AM

The glow plug lamp on these doubles as a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). It should have a fault code recorded.

donny - 21/12/10 at 02:05 PM

Hi Mike,
thanks. Long story short - the battery was flat / gubbed and this was low battery voltage indicator. New battery from the helpful Tony at qwiklube in Edinburgh (friend's recommendation) fixed it. They also hooked up a diagnostic tool to confirm and reset the fault codes.

Donny.

donny - 11/1/11 at 08:36 AM

Hi all,
just a quick update. It was not only the battery that was causing this lamp to come on. Apparently there is a known issue with the exhaust gas recycle (EGR) valve. Mine was sticking and eventually failed. ALso, the disk in the valve which regulates flow is only a push fit. When this works loose, the valve passes. This will end up being so bad that the exhaust gases poison the engine and it will not run.

There is a temporary fix (should the AA have known this?). The valve can be rotated 180 degrees and used as a blank to block the flow - to get the car running again. This is not a cheap part. The new valve has a modified connection to the disk so this should not happen again.

Cheers,
Donny