Board logo

Wobble bolts
coyoteboy - 11/5/12 at 05:13 PM

Anyone use wobble bolts to correct PCD? Assuming spigot size is correct (or corrected) has anyone heard horrific stories of their use? Generally very disliked on forums but not by anyone who's actually used them it seems. As an engineering solution they're not perfect but I don't see a major flaw that would cause them to be dangerous? (considering 112 hubs 114 rims).

ssc28 - 11/5/12 at 05:27 PM

I have a mate who is using them for a pcd of 100 where it should be 98 ( vw on a fiat), he swears by them and says that there have been no problems with them at all.
Personally I dont like the thought of them, but that pretty much reinforces what you said in your post.

[Edited on 11/5/12 by ssc28]

mark chandler - 11/5/12 at 05:36 PM

provided the hub centre locates the wheel correctly then not an issue.

otherwise NO

steve m - 11/5/12 at 05:37 PM

I have never used them, but would if the right wheels for my car were a slightley different PCD
the bolt its self still remains in the correct place, but the sleeve, is a slightly bigger dimension of the bolt, and thus giving a tolerance of movement in the hole

My concern would be, getting the wheel exactly centeral, but would imagine, a gradual tighten up of each bolt at a a time ?

Also not all wheels have a tapered hole to accomodate, so what do you do then?

Steve

coyoteboy - 11/5/12 at 05:51 PM

I'd get new spigot rings made up to centre the rims and take the loads. With regards the conical holes/alloys without them it shouldn't be an issue - flat surfaces will just allow the offset washer to rotate, I'm assuming it'd be thick enough not to deform too much. I've just noticed some of them are TUV approved so they can't be all that bad considering the serious expansion of rim choices they offer.

Stott - 11/5/12 at 08:50 PM

Yes my brother has used them before aver a period of 2 years to correct some ozs to fit a fiat, he hit curbs with them and bent rims, drove like a 17 year old (he was) and stuffed it into a tree eventually, all the while the wobble bolts were fine

So my advice is go for it.

coyoteboy - 13/5/12 at 10:04 AM

Well that sort of cures my worries and expands my options. Much obliged all!