Board logo

Scary moment
LBMEFM - 24/7/16 at 07:02 AM

Heading down "Hairy Hill" at Lydden Hill yesterday well in excess of 90mph I changed down and started to turn into Paddock Bend to find my throttle was stuck wide open. After some hasty actions I avoided the traffic and managed to stop in the midfield section of the circuit.

On the previous lap I saw something flick up from the front wheel which hit my visor and fell into the car, I assumed it was one of the the usually lumps of rubber. When the car was recovered back to the pits I found what I thought was a lump of rubber that hit my visor was infact a GoPro type threaded knob which had found it's way into the pedal box and jammed the throttle pedal wide open, just glad it wasn't the brake pedal.

daniel mason - 24/7/16 at 08:11 AM

I've had this before In my old radical at Blyton. I dived for the clutch immediately and turned ignition off ASAP.

CosKev3 - 24/7/16 at 10:14 AM

I had a similar,but safer,thing happen on the road the other week.

Could feel the car slowing on its own if I coasted,looked at third brake light on roll bar and it was on permanently.
Pulled over and found a grease nipple stuck under my brake pedal!
Must have flicked up off road as it was not off my car anywhere!

[Edited on 24/7/16 by CosKev3]

bowood14 - 24/7/16 at 03:48 PM

At least it proved your brakes work I wasn't far behind you and got a lung full of brake smoke!!!!

SJ - 24/7/16 at 04:26 PM

Same thing happened to me at Abingdon airfield. My Acewell recorded 8100 rpm on a standard black top Zetec. Luckily it didn't go pop.

LBMEFM - 24/7/16 at 08:50 PM

It was about the only time you were behind me Adrian, most of the time I was trying to keep up with you.

owelly - 24/7/16 at 09:18 PM

One of my cars snapped an earth strap as I booted it, so earthed the engine to chassis through the throttle cable which welded itself together.....flat out.