Board logo

Which way are you voting?
turbodisplay - 9/4/10 at 06:18 PM

Just interested in which way people are voting and thought it would be interesting to see how the locostbuilders collective will compare to the actual results?

I`m personally voting Tory, sick of Labour!

Darren

[Edited on 9/4/10 by turbodisplay]

balidey - 9/4/10 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
Which way are you voting?

usually with a cross

(or is it a tick?)

bilbo - 9/4/10 at 07:02 PM

Honestly, I've not decided yet. This time it's really a case of who's the least worst

[Edited on 9/4/10 by bilbo]

02GF74 - 9/4/10 at 07:11 PM

sorry but why do you want to know?

please can we keep the election out of locsotbuilders? It's bad enough as it having it forced on us the Beeb, twonks knocking on my door (hence we are hiding under the table upstrairs wihtou having it on hjere.

thank you for you kind cooperation.

bigrich - 9/4/10 at 07:15 PM

not much point in voteing as the government always get in.

If i was to vote i would like a change so Libs fo my X.

I can remember 15% mortgage rates under torys so would.nt ever go there

scootz - 9/4/10 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
sorry but why do you want to know?

please can we keep the election out of locsotbuilders? It's bad enough as it having it forced on us the Beeb, twonks knocking on my door (hence we are hiding under the table upstrairs wihtou having it on hjere.

thank you for you kind cooperation.

Er... ahem... linky

DRC INDY 7 - 9/4/10 at 07:20 PM

ther is a option missing and that is not voting

i have not voted for the last 14 years they ar all liars and toerags

Fozzie - 9/4/10 at 07:23 PM

Well ... I have surprised myself .... I made a list of what was important to me......things like, getting out of 'Europe', grabbing back control of our Borders/immigration... taking back control of our laws, therefore courts ... and more...then crossed referenced my values by looking at this drop down list of parties, just to see which 'party' came close to my ideals...... clicky looky here ... I was surprised.... The party I usually vote for didn't match my 'values' one little bit!

Fozzie

cd.thomson - 9/4/10 at 07:24 PM

who are the 4 racists then

britishtrident - 9/4/10 at 07:29 PM

Not all of us live in England.

All the parties don't want to talk about the real issue why are some many of our young men getting killed in a country that is the anus of the world. Instead they would rather try and get elected on what are forced by the nature of world financial events to identical policies.

Clegg strikes me as cross between Tony Blair and the late Malcolm Mclaren i.e. I would trust him just as much as I would trust Bernie Ecclestone or Max Mosley. Come back Charlie Kennedy your weren't so bad after all.

Cameron is just a cloned version of Tony Blair he is truly gifted at beaming out insincerity.

Dear old Gordon is probably the most sensible and genuine of the three but has no charisma and has been stabbed in the back by so often by most of the wannabees leaders in his party it is a wonder he can still stand up.

In Scotland we have our own First Minister Alec ("the panda" Salmond, hardworking clever and sincere but often a little too much of a pacifist and liberal leftie in the american sense of the word and most of his party really want take a chain saw to the UK and erect border posts at Gretna and Berwick-upon-Tweed.

[Edited on 9/4/10 by britishtrident]

se7en - 9/4/10 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

I haven't voted for 40 years and I don't think that I will start now.

As others have said they are the biggest bunch of liars & thieves. Say one thing, do another.

Who would I vote for? on reflection probably controversially BNP; at least you know where you stand with them.

britishtrident - 9/4/10 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by se7en
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

I haven't voted for 40 years and I don't think that I will start now.

As others have said they are the biggest bunch of liars & thieves. Say one thing, do another.

Who would I vote for? on reflection probably controversially BNP; at least you know where you stand with them.

Or should it be know where you hang with them.

scootz - 9/4/10 at 07:46 PM

I would like to see a stab at full independence for Scotland during my lifetime... I just think there's more chance of a smaller nation being increasingly progressive and reacting to the need for change a lot quicker than the lumbering behemoth that is the UK.

I worked in Bosnia as an advisor some time ago as part of a multi-national task-force and we all used to get so frustrated by the fragmented nature of the country post-Dayton. One nation, but three separate entities and two of those entities were further broken down into numerous Cantons or Security Centres. Bloomin complicated we thought and sooo obstructive to change!

But then one of my Turkish colleagues asked me about the UK... he asked me if the UK and GB were the same... I explained the difference. He then asked if Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales were countries... I explained the situation. He than asked how our countries were broken down and I ran through that side of things. It then occurred to me how absolutely chaotic our situation was here. Far far worse than that in Bosnia (but eased somewhat by the lack of the sheer hatred for each other that existed in the Balkan state!).

britishtrident - 9/4/10 at 07:53 PM

The problem with race, nationality and immigration issues is the only party that wants to discuss it are the extremists and even they pretend not to.

The others are too frightened by it because they know to bring the subject into public debate is political suicide.

The first sign of how dangerous it was came with the Nottinghill race riots of 1958 but it was Enoch Powell's "Rivers of Blood" speech almost a decade later that really made politicians clench their bottoms.

Enoch Powell's "Rivers of Blood" speech actually wasn't racist although it was made from the perspective of a man of his generation steeped in the old empire loyalist view. Powell got hounded out of his party and as a result was taken up by some pretty unsavory company. By calling Powell a racist they effectively made him into one.

The truth is this country has always had immigration it has been seen as a threat to the nation but in the end the immigrants vanished into the population it turned out not to be such a threat after all.

Benzine - 9/4/10 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
who are the 4 racists then

I'm sure they'll all be along soon to confirm their identity ITT.

lol

mangogrooveworkshop - 9/4/10 at 08:13 PM

Large (print) swearing removed.

If you want to read Mango's post (and are not offended by bad language) click here

--ChrisW

[Edited on 4/10/2010 by ChrisW]

morcus - 9/4/10 at 08:21 PM

The result is very intresting, mostly because of just how clear cut the leader is so far, Its also intresting that most of the posts in this thread seem to be from people apposed to the Conservative and Unionist party (To give it it's full name), also intresting that the option is spelt wrong, only one R, in Tory.

I'll be voting Tory, to be honest Ashford is a safe seat so it won't make any difference who I vote for, and labour and Lib dems always put up a poo candidate so as not to waste one who might actually have a chance somewhere else, Last time Labours Candidate was a carpet bagger from Lancashire who moved here for the election if I remember rightly.

turbodisplay - 9/4/10 at 08:50 PM

What interests me is how people here will compare to the actual votes.
As for being sick of the election news, it is only another few weeks, then nothing for four (or five if GB gets in) Years.

Darren

Fozzie - 9/4/10 at 09:30 PM

Can you edit/cut out the swearing please guys?......Thank you

craig1410 - 9/4/10 at 10:30 PM

I'll be voting for David Cameron because I think he has the highest level of integrity and honesty of the lot of them and the best chance of making real change. You can tell that he has a sense of trepidation about what lies ahead of him which I think is a healthy thing.

A revolution every now and then is a healthy thing - time for some fresh thinking!

Have a look at this survey. You might find you have more in common with the conservatives than you thought! Don't hold stupid grudges about how you might have suffered in the 1990's due to high interest rates - that was 20 years ago for Christ's sake and the current economic crisis is the worst since the 1930's!!

To those who don't vote - this is your democracy! If you don't believe in democracy then fair enough but if you do then please reconsider voting because unless you do vote then democracy is worthless. Don't use apathy as an excuse. MP's are not all cheats and liars, they are just the same as you and I and make mistakes sometimes.

Vote for who you agree with most, whoever that might be!

Simon - 9/4/10 at 10:42 PM

If I thought for one minute giving UKIP my vote would get them a majority, they'd get it, unfortunately it would be one less vote to a "big" party"meaning that Gormless Gord would get back in (along with the pigs that take so much for so little).

And as a taxpayer - in the way that the civil service isn't (irrespective of how undervalued/underpaid/overworked certain individuals within are) - it's funds come from private businesses tax and their employees taxes, I won't be amused if Gormless gets in, and may well have to take my taxes to another country.

My vote for UKIP has nowt to do with racism, but everything to do with retaining our financial/governmental independence from Europe.

Otherwise what a waste of effort the last two world wars would have been.

And Gordo said we could have a referendum on it. Looked like he'd have lost, so sulked. Or just lied (again)!

ATB

Simon

Peteff - 9/4/10 at 10:55 PM

I know I couldn't afford a house when Conservatives were in and I've bought and paid for one under Labour. When all your rights as a worker have been undermined and the guaranteed minimum wage removed in the interest of shareholder payouts you will realise how little you have in common with true Conservatives. If you work for a living you are working class to them and grist for their mill.

Fozzie - 9/4/10 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
If I thought for one minute giving UKIP my vote would get them a majority, they'd get it, unfortunately it would be one less vote to a "big" party"meaning that Gormless Gord would get back in (along with the pigs that take so much for so little).

And as a taxpayer - in the way that the civil service isn't (irrespective of how undervalued/underpaid/overworked certain individuals within are) - it's funds come from private businesses tax and their employees taxes, I won't be amused if Gormless gets in, and may well have to take my taxes to another country.

My vote for UKIP has nowt to do with racism, but everything to do with retaining our financial/governmental independence from Europe.

Otherwise what a waste of effort the last two world wars would have been.

And Gordo said we could have a referendum on it. Looked like he'd have lost, so sulked. Or just lied (again)!

ATB

Simon

+1.... Well said ...

Pete..yes it was very hard back when the Tories were in...for a while.....but that was because they had been left with a mahoosive debt, especially to the IMF that Labour had racked up......much the same as when the new government gets in next month (assuming it is not Labour), it is going to be very very tight to try and repay the debt Labour have racked up this time .... and whoever gets in will be as unpopular as the Tories were back then, for the same reason ....The debts that have to be paid back affect us all.

Yes mortgages and borrowing was easier under Labour, they didn't have such a large deficit of debt to pay back when they took power.....but then.....look where all of that 'borrowing' under Labour has got us now..

The Labour party isn't the saviour of the ordinary working man it once was..it is now 'New Labour', another guise for communism....

The above views are IMHO of course.....

Fozzie

Mark Allanson - 10/4/10 at 12:39 AM

Historically labour have racked up massive debt and the conservatives have paid it back, then labour have racked up massive debt and the conservatives have paid it back, labour have racked up massive debt and the conservatives have paid it back, labour have racked up massive debt and the conservatives have paid it back, labour have racked up massive debt and the conservatives have paid it back, labour have racked up massive debt and the conservatives have paid it back, labour have racked up massive debt and the conservatives have paid it back, labour have racked up massive debt and the conservatives have paid it back, labour have racked up massive debt and the conservatives have paid it back..............................................................................

Jon Ison - 10/4/10 at 08:12 AM

Ok, instead of going into "slagging off someone else mode" convince me Mr David Camerroooooooon is the one me ?

Benzine - 10/4/10 at 08:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Ok, instead of going into "slagging off someone else mode" convince me Mr David Camerroooooooon is the one me ?

Because he's a fan of Thatcher who was a wonderful human being and a brave, glorious leader

morcus - 10/4/10 at 08:17 AM

It would be nice to see a third party win, but this thread highlights how the system that the house of commons is based on has been totally corrupted. Noone in the entire country should have the choice of voting for Brown or Cameron, The MP's are ment to represent the people of their constituencies but the way its set up takes power away from normal MP's (And especially non Gov MP's) so half the countries representatives don't really have much say in things.

coozer - 10/4/10 at 08:21 AM

I am unimpressed with the current voting system...

I hate Thatcher and what she did round here, I hate Brown cause he's a tosser and made me redundant last year.. the rest are irrelevant.

The country is run by civil servants who DONT change when there's an election.

My local councillor has a 17,000 majority... no one stands against him..

So, come May 6th, I will have 2 choices, labour of conservative, there my be liberal on there but its just a token gesture....

I clicked the BNP button.

woodster - 10/4/10 at 09:10 AM

Torry .......... I'm not voting for Gordon Brown hes a t**t

Jon Ison - 10/4/10 at 12:05 PM

Come on the gauntlets down, dont see any convincing arguments yet ?

NI, ok so we have all these big retail magnets stood behind camerloooooooon saying they dont want the 1% increase, whats the average wage in retail ? Yup non of them will be paying it anyways ?

Come on, convince me ?

Just so you know who your convincing, small business owner, turnover £350-400k year, home owner with mortgage one dependent child. Ask me what I would rather have, 1% increase in NI or 1% increase on VAT ?

02GF74 - 10/4/10 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
As for being sick of the election news, it is only another few weeks, then nothing for four (or five if GB gets in) Years.

I suppose so..... but could the BBC news do it at the end, just after the skatebording duck stories?

woodster - 10/4/10 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Come on the gauntlets down, dont see any convincing arguments yet ?

NI, ok so we have all these big retail magnets stood behind camerloooooooon saying they dont want the 1% increase, whats the average wage in retail ? Yup non of them will be paying it anyways ?

Come on, convince me ?

Just so you know who your convincing, small business owner, turnover £350-400k year, home owner with mortgage one dependent child. Ask me what I would rather have, 1% increase in NI or 1% increase on VAT ?

i thought it was the employers NI that was going up which puts employers off employing more staff because of the extra cost ..... not employee NI

Simon - 10/4/10 at 08:50 PM

Correct, just had long reply but it got deleted and I'm not interested in retyping.

Everyone earning between £4,940 and £43,888 p.a. pays 11% and 1% thereafter.

I can't think of any reasons why you would want to vote for Cameron - I can't, other than it'll mean Gormless not getting in again.

ATB

Simon

Fozzie - 10/4/10 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Come on the gauntlets down, dont see any convincing arguments yet ?.......

I think that is the major problem Jon... ... I don't think that at this point anyone can tell the difference between the Tories or Labour .....

On a personal level, the only party that 'promises' to invoke those values that are close to my heart at this time......(no, its not the BNP), are 'unknowns' and as such have not one 'strong' politician amongst them, even though they are fielding (allegedly) 500 candidates ......

As far as mass immigration is concerned .... there is an old proverb.....
'You can't pour a pint of beer into a half pint pot...'

The British Isles is only so big, it seems incredible that the top parties still haven't sussed that one out yet, and implemented a stricter criteria on that basis alone.....

Political Asylum ... does the Geneva Convention not state that the nearest 'Safe Country' should be used?

The EU ... they have taken away our independence ....without much of a fight from either the Tories or Labour ....
Labour gave away our rebates that the Tories had negotiated ..... neither party gave us or would give us a referendum......

They have given away our Fishing rights, but allow other EU members to take what they want .....

They have taken over our Justice system and made a mockery of that.....

Regardless of what may be a popular opinion, we cannot trade freely as we once did.

We pay in many millions to the EU, and we get nothing of any consequence out of it ...

We are not part of Europe geographically we are an island/isles ....

We need to take back control of our United Kingdom ... which party offers to do all of that?

UKIP .....the problem? ..see my first paragraph ^ ^ ...

The next thing is, as has been mentioned in an above post, is how the current electoral system isn't indicative of the populous vote......

What to do? ..... I wish I knew ...

The above views are, of course, IMHO ...
Fozzie

splitrivet - 10/4/10 at 10:37 PM

To be honest I see no difference in any of the major parties. New Labour was and is new Thatcherism a doctrine which said we dont need industry anymore let the bankers run the country yeah right where has that got us and stand by for more of the same regardless of the colour of the party that wins.
I feel very sad that as a nation we rely on giving hand outs (scrappage) that have helped the Korean and others car industry and companies like Cadbury's have been sold down the river.
As for the notion of Labour get us into debt Tories get us out thats cr@p and is how its always been played in this country where you live and your background makes you believe how you should vote, certainly Blair wants his arse kicking for letting us follow that loony yank into Iraq but over their term my business has done OK as have most.
We need a new direction but I see nobody out there who's going to give it to us as for immigrants most of them coming here want to work where most Brits want family tax credit a new foreign motor on the drive and a 48" plasma, perhaps as has been said a nation gets the government it deserves.
Cheers,
Bob

morcus - 11/4/10 at 07:01 AM

Not aimed at anyone specific, and not just aplling to here, but I've seen alot of people complaining about the Europe and thatcher in the same breath, even though she was ousted for being anti-European, Its just something I've noticed alot in alot of places over the past week.

Any one else think that election day should be a Bank holiday, and that nothing should be allowed to open so everyone gets the day off?

scootz - 11/4/10 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Any one else think that election day should be a Bank holiday, and that nothing should be allowed to open so everyone gets the day off?

Yep!

woodster - 12/4/10 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
quote:
Come on the gauntlets down, dont see any convincing arguments yet ?.......

I think that is the major problem Jon... ... I don't think that at this point anyone can tell the difference between the Tories or Labour .....

On a personal level, the only party that 'promises' to invoke those values that are close to my heart at this time......(no, its not the BNP), are 'unknowns' and as such have not one 'strong' politician amongst them, even though they are fielding (allegedly) 500 candidates ......

As far as mass immigration is concerned .... there is an old proverb.....
'You can't pour a pint of beer into a half pint pot...'

The British Isles is only so big, it seems incredible that the top parties still haven't sussed that one out yet, and implemented a stricter criteria on that basis alone.....

Political Asylum ... does the Geneva Convention not state that the nearest 'Safe Country' should be used?

The EU ... they have taken away our independence ....without much of a fight from either the Tories or Labour ....
Labour gave away our rebates that the Tories had negotiated ..... neither party gave us or would give us a referendum......

They have given away our Fishing rights, but allow other EU members to take what they want .....

They have taken over our Justice system and made a mockery of that.....

Regardless of what may be a popular opinion, we cannot trade freely as we once did.

We pay in many millions to the EU, and we get nothing of any consequence out of it ...

We are not part of Europe geographically we are an island/isles ....

We need to take back control of our United Kingdom ... which party offers to do all of that?

UKIP .....the problem? ..see my first paragraph ^ ^ ...

The next thing is, as has been mentioned in an above post, is how the current electoral system isn't indicative of the populous vote......

What to do? ..... I wish I knew ...

The above views are, of course, IMHO ...
Fozzie

Does that not point you in the direction of a conservative vote .... they will put a stop to the open door immigration problem and they have never been very keen on the euro/eec zone

[Edited on 12/4/10 by woodster]

Fozzie - 12/4/10 at 12:28 PM

Hmmm...I thought so too Woody.....until I checked out this......

clicky thing

Fozzie ...

coozer - 12/4/10 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Because he's a fan of Thatcher who was a wonderful human being and a brave, glorious leader

I think she is the EXACT opposite of that statement....

craig1410 - 12/4/10 at 03:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:

Thatcher was a strong leader which is exactly what we need now in my opinion. Brown spends too much time pulling knifes out of his back and telling the public what he thinks they want to hear.

Camerons greatest achievement so far is sorting out the conservative party and getting them pulling together again. I think he has shown strong leadership and would make a good PM because he draws upon the experience of his cabinet rather than going it alone like brown.

Benzine - 12/4/10 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:

sarcasm fwiw

So thatcher was bad but nick griffin is great? Laaaaaaaawl XD

Jon Ison - 12/4/10 at 04:26 PM

"Camerons greatest achievement so far is sorting out the conservative party and getting them pulling together again. I think he has shown strong leadership and would make a good PM because he draws upon the experience of his cabinet rather than going it alone like brown."

That's the problem, his cabinet.......... Thatcher was such a strong leader they got rid of her, come on floating voter here still not convinced

coozer - 14/4/10 at 10:46 AM

Right then, I've made me mind up, I've read this thread and countless others online, done profile checks, read the manifesto's and come to one conclusion.

VOTE UKIP!

Out of all the party's and all the policies the only thing I don't like about UKIP is allowing smoking back in pubs.

And, I'm goign out for drink with my local UKIP candidate soon

morcus - 14/4/10 at 04:03 PM

UKIP are going to make smoking legal again? I'd missed that and like that Idea.