Board logo

Road pedal bike
macspeedy - 10/10/10 at 08:31 PM

I have just upgraded my road bike, did a lot of miles on the old hybrid, but this is a different class ! its about 25 miles to work, trying to get in some miles before the weather turns nasty... the new bike knocks 10 - 15 mins off the commute time each way

Just after any tips / advice from seasoned riders.....

trek
trek

[Edited on 10/10/10 by macspeedy]

austin man - 10/10/10 at 08:35 PM

does the new bike have thinner tyres than the old one

zilspeed - 10/10/10 at 08:36 PM

I keep getting it bad for one of those.

Couldn't run to that much though.

Is that a 2.3 ?

macspeedy - 10/10/10 at 08:37 PM

yep

Done a bit of research and i know that the pressure and tyre type makes a big difference.

macspeedy - 10/10/10 at 08:39 PM

yeah 2.3, got it from the manager of the mountain bike shop i use, he was upgrading to the full carbon machine, got some free upgrades as he already had upgraded the wheel set to £1500 carbon ones..

matt_gsxr - 10/10/10 at 08:52 PM

Nice bike.

Get some Mud guards.

They might add a couple of hundred grammes, but getting into wet cycling shorts for the ride home really sucks.

Worth also including:
spare lights, a can of that puncture fix stuff, a schraeder to presta adapter, and a bell.

Also while I am at it, really bright clothing, really good lights, a helmet, and assume car drivers can't see you. The problem is that a 1 in a 1000 accident is only 4years away when you cycle every day.

If you are over 40, then don't race on Mondays, it shags you for the rest of the week.

Matt

p.s. the great thing you can eat as much as you want.

macspeedy - 10/10/10 at 09:04 PM

Thanks !

Ive got 3 front lights! Dont trust the roads up here and there is a long stretch without any street lights.

I carry a spare tube and puncture repair kit,

The gear i wear has reflective bits and the top i have been told makes me look like a police man ! lol..

I'm 33 so mondays arent a problem.

I use High fives zero electrolyte tablets to help me on my way...

got some over shoes on there way...

I have done a lot of mtb'in and a lot of road miles on the old horse (no licence for 6 months !!!) , always wearing a helmet ! some shocking drivers out there ! (edit " a lot of shocking drivers out there "

[Edited on 10/10/10 by macspeedy]

matt_gsxr - 10/10/10 at 09:14 PM

Sounds like you have it all under control.

My ride is shorter (about 8miles) but I try to do it all year around.

Puncture resistant tyres and "slime" minimise punctures. With a 25mile commute a puncture you can't sort would mean you end up with an 8hour walk!

Matt

adithorp - 10/10/10 at 09:55 PM

Set of guards as matt says. Not as cool but a lot warmer. New Crud ones if nothing else will fit.
At least 2 rear lights. Stagger when you change the batteries. They fade as the batt's go but you won't notice if both sets are the same.
Mornings like today stick a sheet or two of newspaper under your top. Keeps the wind out, breaths and it's disposable when it warms up.

adrian

l0rd - 11/10/10 at 07:26 AM

Just stick a lown mower motor on it and off you go.

adithorp - 11/10/10 at 09:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by l0rd

Is that supposed to be lawn or blown?

Benzine - 11/10/10 at 09:24 AM

He thinks it's a Schwinn!

donny - 11/10/10 at 09:51 AM

Maintain / clean it regularly. I have a post about headset bearings - Ididn't pay attention to them! Cycle assertively (not aggressively) and make sure to wave to good drivers who give you space. Watch out for dogs off lead, pedestrians with a death wish who step out in front of you. Enjoy yourself - I cycle 10 miles to work; got my new Orbea Aqua in May and have just reaslised that I'm over 1500 miles on it!
Cheers,
Donny

bimbleuk - 11/10/10 at 10:02 AM

I've been doing a 36 mile round trip for the last couple of years. Not everyday as that's just not practical but usually 2-3 days a week (plus weekends). I do ride in any weather though.

My ride is out in the sticks with hardly any houses let alone street lighting. I carry a fair amount of spares. At least two front and rear lights plus spare batteries. Folding tyre, inner tube, reapir kit, pump and gas re-fills too (my pumps failed on me before).

My bike is covered in reflective stickers and my current tyres have reflective walls too. I wear a high vis jacket when commuting but I've still had to ride off the road to avoid idiot drivers!

My pet hate is drivers who don't dip their lights for cyclists.

I did have to re-build my bike recently as it was totally knackered. I took the opportunity to fit a rear geared hub and simplify the drivetrain as it were (less bits to get dirty). So my bike is more for durability than speed as the roads I use are poorly maintained.

[Edited on 11-10-10 by bimbleuk]

l0rd - 11/10/10 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd

Is that supposed to be lawn or blown?

Ekkkk
what a
Numpty

that happens when you are in hurry

Peteff - 12/10/10 at 08:40 AM

All that money and you still have to pedal it